cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New to using JMP? Hit the ground running with the Early User Edition of Discovery Summit. Register now, free of charge.
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

How can I insert a factor that is the result of multiplying another factor with a number?

Hi everyone, 

I am a beginner with JMP. 

I want to create a full factorial designs (DOE) that consists out of a few factors (see image). 

For the factor "aliquote volume" the minimum value is 25, the maximum is 100.

For the factor "solvent", the minimum value shoud be 4 * the factor "aliquote volume", the maximum value should be 16 * the factor "aliquote volume".

Does anyone now how I can add the solvent calculation to my design? 

Thank you in advance! Knipsel.PNG

2 REPLIES 2
statman
Super User

Re: How can I insert a factor that is the result of multiplying another factor with a number?

Welcome to the community.  I don't know if I have a complete understanding of your situation, but here are some of my thoughts:

1.  If the level for Solvent is dependent on the level for Aliquot Volume, then Solvent is nested in Aliquot Volume (expressed Solvent[Aliquot Volume])  If it is truly nested, there will be no interaction estimable.

2. Perhaps you could look at those two factors as one combined factor which would have 2 levels of the ratio of solvent to volume (e.g., 25/4 and 100/1600).  If this factor is the most active, then understand appropriate ratios in a subsequent design.  This is a screening design, so expect to iterate.

3. I'm not sure why you consider Prot time and Prot temp as categorical?  Those values appear to be continuous. Granted "Overnight" is vague, but it is some quantifiable number of minutes.

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box

Re: How can I insert a factor that is the result of multiplying another factor with a number?

The Custom Designer (DOE > Custom Design) allows you to specify constraints like this. Here, you can select Use Disallowed Combinations Script under Define Factor Constraints to specify a boolean expression for the combinations of Solvent and Aliquot Volume settings that are not allowed (see example below; this page in the JMP Help provides more detail on defining factor constraints). With this constraint in place, the overall Solvent range would be specified as 4 * the minimum Aliquot Volume (100) to 16 * the maximum Aliquot Volume (1600).

Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 10.00.51 AM.png

Ross Metusalem
JMP Academic Ambassador