cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Navntoft
Level I

Help to explanation of Hierarchical Clustering - Ward's method

Hi all,

I try to understand the example of hierarchical clustering (picture below) with a distance matrix from JMP here: https://www.jmp.com/support/help/14/example-of-a-distance-matrix.shtml#316781

Dendrogram.png

Applying Ward's formula (picture below) from here: https://www.jmp.com/support/help/14/distance-method-formulas.shtml#177809 

Wards method.png

My question: How does JMP calculate the initial distance of 58,689863 between NY and Philadelphia by this formula? I have tried to apply the formula myself, but can't reach the same result. Any help is much appreciated. 

Cheers.

Best regards, Thomas

2 REPLIES 2
msharp
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Help to explanation of Hierarchical Clustering - Ward's method

In the example case you are giving it the distances, so JMP isn't really calculating the distances until clusters are created and it needs to calculate the distances between centroids.  So the expected distance should be 83 which is found in the flight data table.  This is the expected value, and it's exactly what you get when using any other method (Average, Centroid, Single, Complete).  Looking at all the distances the Ward method populates they are ~0.707 of what I'd expect them to be.  It appears JMP is applying some constant.  That said, it would be nice for someone on the JMP team to comment.

PeriiRidendo
Level I

Re: Help to explanation of Hierarchical Clustering - Ward's method

Bonjour,

Je souhaiterais réaliser une CAH également et je me demande si vous aviez une réponse à cette question. Quelle constante applique JMP ?

Je vous remercie par avance.