cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Guidance on mixtures design approach for a 6 component mixture with only 3 variables.

Hello all,

I'm looking to set up a mixtures design for a mixture which overall contains 6 components at these percentages below, but I only want to use three of these as my input variables. Components 4 to 6 must add up to 15 %.

Component 1: 70 %

Component 2: 10 %

Component 3: 5 %

Component 4: 0 - 5%

Component 5: 0 - 5 %

Component 6: 0 - 5 %

When setting up the DoE, how do I remove Components 1, 2 and 3 from the overall study? Can I just ignore the first three components and setup up the mixtures design with the 4 - 6 components. In this case, do I set it up so they still add up to 15 %, or do I scale it up to 100 %?

I'm hoping you all can provide some clarification and guidance. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Victor_G
Super User

Re: Guidance on mixtures design approach for a 6 component mixture with only 3 variables.

Hi @DoEDorkily123,

Welcome in the Community !

When setting up a Mixture design through the Custom design platform, you can specify the total amount for your 3 mixture factors. Click on the red triangle next to "Custom Design", then "Advanced Options" and then "Mixture Sum". Here you'll be able to specify that the total amount of your three mixture factors should be 0,15.

Victor_G_0-1701185576622.png

Note that with this constraint, each mixture factor range goes from 0 to 0,15 (15%) by default (unless you specify other constraints). 

Hope this response answers your question,

Victor GUILLER
Scientific Expertise Engineer
L'Oréal - Data & Analytics

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Victor_G
Super User

Re: Guidance on mixtures design approach for a 6 component mixture with only 3 variables.

Hi @DoEDorkily123,

Welcome in the Community !

When setting up a Mixture design through the Custom design platform, you can specify the total amount for your 3 mixture factors. Click on the red triangle next to "Custom Design", then "Advanced Options" and then "Mixture Sum". Here you'll be able to specify that the total amount of your three mixture factors should be 0,15.

Victor_G_0-1701185576622.png

Note that with this constraint, each mixture factor range goes from 0 to 0,15 (15%) by default (unless you specify other constraints). 

Hope this response answers your question,

Victor GUILLER
Scientific Expertise Engineer
L'Oréal - Data & Analytics

Ah that was simpler than I was expecting. Thank you very much!