cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Treponema
Level III

Group scripts in themes in a data table?

Hi Community,

I have searched in vain for a feature that can group scripts in my data table for an easy overview, just like this feature for grouping of columns: http://www.jmp.com/support/help/13/Group_Columns.shtml. My hope was to categorize my scripts in themes that are more or less always the same.

Is this possible at all?

Thanks!

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: Group scripts in themes in a data table?

Scripts can not be grouped as columns can. It is a great idea, and I encourage you to send an enhancement request to support@jmp.com.

Jim

View solution in original post

In the meantime, consider making a journal for your workflow instead of loading everyting into the small table panel. Journals are simple and versatile. You can organize the contents. The contents include text, URL, buttons with scripts, pirctures and so on.

Such a journal could include instructions and references with pictures. Buttons could initiate dialogs to collect user choices or data tables from templates. Other buttons could run scripts on the current data table.

It is pretty much limited only by your imagination.

SDF1
Super User

Hi @Treponema,

This thread came up when I did a web search for "JSL scripts to group scripts in data table" as I was looking to do this exact thing.

Although I have the JMP 14 scripting manual, I typically go to the community pages first and see what solutions there are. In this instance, the book actually solved it faster!

At least when using JMP 14, you can:

Group scripts in a table manually by highlighting them and right clicking (for Windows machines), then selecting Group Scripts. They can be renamed manually by the normal methods.

Or, you can write a JSL code to do it for you, which I found in the manual on p. 445.

Example:

dt << Group Scripts(
"Group Name",{"Script 1", "Script 2",..."Script N"}
);

You can then move them around in the data table, similar to moving a column.

Example:

dt << Move Script Group("Group Name", to last | after("Script B"));

Where you would choose either "to last" or "after()".

You can even write scripts that perform operations on the scripts within a Group by first getting the list of scripts within a group in the data table and operating on the desired script (by number) within the Group.

I haven't gotten through a whole lot of the book, but it's very helpful and so far has been much better at explaining things compared to the Scripting Index within JMP (although that's quite helpful too).

Hope this helps!,

DS

13 REPLIES 13
txnelson
Super User

Scripts can not be grouped as columns can. It is a great idea, and I encourage you to send an enhancement request to support@jmp.com.

Jim
Treponema
Level III

Thank you for the response, I have sent a request to support@jmp.com :)

dr_winfried_koc
Level III

I support this request because groupring of scripts would be helpful for my workflow too.

Winfried

ih
Super User (Alumni) ih
Super User (Alumni)

If you have a lot of scripts that you run on the same data table you might consider combining them into one script and adding a box with buttons or links to run each script. That way you can organize them however you wish and give a description for each.

Treponema
Level III

Hi Isaac,

That is a good way to go usually, but I in this instance I am trying to build a data exploration script library on (R&D) cell culture data. The data is designed to be in the same format across systems, users, etc. Since no experiment is alike, the scripts are used according circumstances.

I would like to be able to 'build' a dummy-data table with script-categories for 'cell growth', 'metabolism' etc. - the user should therefore be able to copy paste from the dummy data table to their own data table. Users are not necessarily well-versed in JMP, thus this strategy.

Thanks for the reply :)

In the meantime, consider making a journal for your workflow instead of loading everyting into the small table panel. Journals are simple and versatile. You can organize the contents. The contents include text, URL, buttons with scripts, pirctures and so on.

Such a journal could include instructions and references with pictures. Buttons could initiate dialogs to collect user choices or data tables from templates. Other buttons could run scripts on the current data table.

It is pretty much limited only by your imagination.

Treponema
Level III

Thank you - Journals are indeed versatile and that is what I am using at the moment. I think I may have to practice a bit more with them :)

I am surprised by how many JMP users have never even heard of the journal feature. Those users who have heard of them often consider them only as a place to save results. They are certainly good for that purpose. They can be so much more, however. We started using them in our JMP training courses over a decade ago as a superior way to provide all the course materials besides the course notes themselves. The fact that we could click a button to run a script also provide a straight-forward means to introducing Monte Carlo simulations in the lessons. The journal organizes everything exactly the same way as the course notes (book) by chapter and section. Students open the book and the journal at the start of class and proceed through both of them. Simple but intuitive and effective.

I think that the example of how we use journals in our own training can be extended in myriad ways to many other situations.

ih
Super User (Alumni) ih
Super User (Alumni)

A Journal is a great way to go.  Now that I understand more of what you are doing though I think an add-in is what you are looking for.  You can organize your scripts in the same way you would add them to the JMP software.  Users would not need to copy scripts to their own tables, therefore they are less likely to have old versions of your scripts buried in their files.  One update to their add-in and everything you ever write is up-to-date, plus they get all of your new stuff.