Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Hegedus1
Level III

Group By Feature returning empty graphs

Hi,

I am uncertain if this behavior was in previous versions

I often use the "by" splitting to group the analysis by another variable. Great feature. In 16.2.0 I am noticing something that I don't recall seeing before.

Here I am looking at the distribution of some variables and splitting them by recipe.  I have hidden and excluded some data in the table and if I do distribution of the grouping variable I get 10 levels.

Hegedus1_1-1650909835978.png

Now I want to look at a couple variables grouped by this variable and I do a distribution set the y variables and then set recipe as the by variable.

What I get is ALL the possible recipe settings ~140+ of them and most with no data as shown below.  It was my recollection that JMP filtered out the graphs with no data and didn't shown them.  My expectation was 10 sets of graphs with only from the rows that were not excluded.

Is my memory wrong and I should expect all the graphs.  That means I am closing 130+ graphs.

Andy

Hegedus1_0-1650909686831.png

6 REPLIES 6
txnelson
Super User

Re: Group By Feature returning empty graphs

have yoiu gone to your data table and excluded all of the rows where Recipe==""

Jim
Hegedus1
Level III

Hi,

I have excluded them.  I first matched to recipes of interest, inverted selection and hide and exclude.  Here is another example were there is no data for the graph since the points have been exclude.

Hegedus1_0-1650921101014.png

Hegedus1
Level III

A bit more information.

I have excluded some rows based on recipe column.

When I use the recipe as a y role it produces the expected result, only the included values are shown.

When I use recipe as an X role, it also produces the expected result with only the included values being used.

It is only when I use recipe in the "by" role does it use all values including the excluded values.

Andy

txnelson
Super User

This is definitely a change in behavior from JMP 15 and earlier versions.  I suggest you report this directly to JMP Support.  They will know if the change is intentional or not.

Jim
Hegedus1
Level III

Hi,

Thanks for validating my thoughts on the performance.  I have submitted a ticket to JMP support and am waiting to hear back from them.

Andy

Hegedus1
Level III

Just heard back from them.

They have replicated the problem and reported it as a bug to the internal system. Now we wait for a fix.

Andy