cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
pjkiley
Level II

Greek letters/special symbols in column names and axis titles

Dear all,

I work with a lot of physical units, which often have greek letters, subscripts, or superscripts in their definitions.  I would like to be able to include these units in the column names so that reports, graph builder, etc, automatically display the correct units, with correct symbols and formating. Is this possible to do?  I cannot seem to figure it out from the forum or my own experiments.

I generate hundreds of plots, so manually editing each axis is really time consuming.

Thanks all!  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
pmroz
Super User

Re: Greek letters/special symbols in column names and axis titles

Here's a script that creates a table containing greek characters for the column headings.  When you create a graph with graph builder the greek letters show up in the axis titles.  I'm using JSL to create the graph, but you could create it manually just as easily.

dt = New Table( "Get Me To The Greek", Add Rows( 3 ),
	New Column( "α Parameter", Numeric, "Continuous", Format( "Best", 12 ),
		Set Values( [1, 2, 3] )
	),
	New Column( "β Values", Numeric, "Continuous", Format( "Best", 12 ),
		Set Values( [3, 2, 1] )
	)
);

dt << Graph Builder(
	Size( 528, 452 ),
	Show Control Panel( 0 ),
	Variables( X( :α Parameter ), Y( :β Values ) ),
	Elements( Points( X, Y, Legend( 5 ) ), Line( X, Y, Legend( 7 ) ) )
);

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
pmroz
Super User

If you can copy/paste the greek/math symbols they'll show up in JSL and in graph labels and titles.  For example:

dt = open("$sample_data\Big Class.jmp");

Graph Builder(
	Size( 525, 452 ),
	Show Control Panel( 0 ),
	Variables( X( :weight ), Y( :height ), Overlay( :sex ) ),
	Elements( Points( X, Y, Legend( 12 ) ), Smoother( X, Y, Legend( 13 ) ) ),
	SendToReport(
		Dispatch( {}, "graph title", TextEditBox,
			{Set Text( "©¼ßåƣάέαβγδεζηθΣΦЖϢ۞ݜڭ⅓⅔≤≥☺▒" )}
		)
	)
);

Also do a search within this forum for greek and special characters.

pjkiley
Level II

Thanks for the reply, and sorry if I am missing something about you solution.  This does not seem to solve my goal of not having to modify each plot I produce after the fact. With this solution, wouldn't I have to save each script to the data table, and then open and modify the script?

Searching the forumn as you suggest returns JSL solutions, but I think that is overkill for what I am trying to achieve.  Unless of course there is no other solution.

Thanks again

pmroz
Super User

You have to do something to get the greek characters in there.  If you name your columns with greek characters they will show up in the graphs.  

pmroz
Super User

Here's a script that creates a table containing greek characters for the column headings.  When you create a graph with graph builder the greek letters show up in the axis titles.  I'm using JSL to create the graph, but you could create it manually just as easily.

dt = New Table( "Get Me To The Greek", Add Rows( 3 ),
	New Column( "α Parameter", Numeric, "Continuous", Format( "Best", 12 ),
		Set Values( [1, 2, 3] )
	),
	New Column( "β Values", Numeric, "Continuous", Format( "Best", 12 ),
		Set Values( [3, 2, 1] )
	)
);

dt << Graph Builder(
	Size( 528, 452 ),
	Show Control Panel( 0 ),
	Variables( X( :α Parameter ), Y( :β Values ) ),
	Elements( Points( X, Y, Legend( 5 ) ), Line( X, Y, Legend( 7 ) ) )
);
pjkiley
Level II

Great, thanks!  I think the point I was missing is that this can only be done via scripting.

pmroz
Super User

You don't need to write a script.  You can enter greek characters using the ALT key + a 3 digit code.  For example if you hold down ALT and enter 228 you get uppercase sigma: Σ.

It appears that you can only enter 14 greek letters this way: https://www.thoughtco.com/writing-greek-letters-on-the-computer-118734