Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
jay_holavarri
Level III

Graphing a radial spec limit on an XY scatter plot

Hello -

Many processes that require alignment use the standard GDT circular position tolerance instead of a rectangular tolerance. So we will frequently have alignment tolerances that are, for example, a 100 micron radius and not +/-100 microns. The best way to look at this data is an XY scatter plot with a radial spec limit. Instead of a spec limit square with a separate X and Y spec, you have a spec represented by a circle. This way you can see if your alignment is off in X or Y (and which direction), and visually see how close you are to the spec.

I gave up trying to make that circle in JMP8 and never thought about it again. But someone asked me this question today after I gave a training session. I don't know of anything in JMP16 (or JMP17EA) that makes this easy to do, so coming to the community. The trick is that the radial spec affects two columns.

Is there an easy way to do this now or do I have to use JSL to draw a circle?

Thanks,

jay

JMP16/17EA 

2 REPLIES 2
vince_faller
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Graphing a radial spec limit on an XY scatter plot

In the scripting index it describes it pretty easily.  But Here's a script.  

You can easily do this in the UI as well if your right click on the framebox and copy that same script into Customize>>"Add Graphics Script"

Names default to here( 1 );
dt = open("$SAMPLE_DATA\Big Class.jmp");
summarize(dt 
	, mean_x = Mean(:weight)
	, mean_y = Mean(:height)
);
biv = Bivariate( Y( :height ), X( :weight ) );
report(biv)[Framebox(1)] << Add Graphics Script(
	PenColor("Blue");
	Circle(
		{mean_x, mean_y}, 
	);

PenColor("Red");
	Circle( 
		{mean_x, mean_y}, 
	)
);

Vince Faller - Predictum
jay_holavarri
Level III

Re: Graphing a radial spec limit on an XY scatter plot

Thank you for this -- I grumbled about having to use JSL (not for me, but for explaining to users). But it doesn't get much simpler than this after right-clicking in a chart and selecting Customize :

Pen Color(Blue);
Circle({0,0},60);

Thanks!