cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
john_madden
Level VI

Graph builder overlay question

Hi,

I would like to build a graph from a table that is like this:

UserEventFrequency
AW2
AX1
BX3
BY!
CZ2
DX2
EZ3

I want the graph to be two side-by-side bar graphs. The X-axis will be Event.

The left pane should show % of each event type for the group of all users (i.e. numerators are number of each event tyoe for all users, denominator is all events of all users).

The right pane should show % of each event type for one specific user (i.e. numerators are number of each event type for specific user, denominator is all events of specific user).

Ultimatly, I want to produce a separate graph like this for each user. Thus, the left pane would be the same for each graph; the right pane would be specific to one user at a time.

I'm having problems figuring out how to do this. Would appreciate some help.

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Byron_JMP
Staff

Re: Graph builder overlay question

Two ways to do that, both methods use two separate GB frames and the Combine Windows feature.

1. Left frame is filtered by user with a local data filter

2. Left frame, :User is in the Wrap role, then only display one user at a time and use the arrow buttons to "Tab" between users.

JMP Systems Engineer, Health and Life Sciences (Pharma)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Byron_JMP
Staff

Good questions about graphing.

Frequency needs contain data that are Numeric, and continuous (little blue triangle icon)

Event and User are Nominal, already.

Drag User to the x axis, and then drag Even to the right hand side of the x-axis

Drag Freqency into the frequency role on the botton right hand corner of the graphbuilder box

Choose the Bar chart element from the top of the graphbuilder box

Then on the left hand pannel, the Elements pannel, change the statistic from Mean to % of total

Just in case that didn't make sense, copy the following script into a script window and run it, when your example table is the primary table.

Graph Builder(
	Size( 393, 201 ),
	Show Control Panel( 0 ),
	Show Legend( 0 ),
	Variables( X( :User ), X( :Event ), Frequency( :Frequency ) ),
	Elements(
		Position( 1, 1 ),
		Bar( X, Legend( 20 ), Summary Statistic( "% of Total" ) )
	),
	Elements(
		Position( 2, 1 ),
		Bar( X, Legend( 21 ), Summary Statistic( "% of Total" ) )
	),
	SendToReport( Dispatch( {}, "", ScaleBox, {Min( 0 )} ) )
);

Screen Shot 2018-04-15 at 10.16.05 PM.png

john_madden
Level VI

Byron,

Thanks for this. '

That wasn't quite what I meant, though. I want Event to be the x-axis for both panes. I want the left pane to show Event %s for all users, and the right pane to show event %s for one user (let's say user A).

I'll be generating a new graph for each user…

John

I'm not what you are asking is possible without adding the combined user Event summary data as new 'user'. That way you can use a local filter on the user in question plus the 'all users' results. Putting 'user' in the wrap or group X role should then allow you to produce the graph you desire.
Byron_JMP
Staff

Two ways to do that, both methods use two separate GB frames and the Combine Windows feature.

1. Left frame is filtered by user with a local data filter

2. Left frame, :User is in the Wrap role, then only display one user at a time and use the arrow buttons to "Tab" between users.

john_madden
Level VI

Byron & Stephen, 

Byron, thanks much, that's exactly what I wanted.

Stephen, I think you are right that it's not possible to do in a single graph builder frame, because you can't apply filters or column switcher differentially to the two panes. I struggled with trying to figure out a way to reconfigure the table, and like you I gave up.

Byron, the idea of using Combine Windows solves this problem.

Thanks to you both!!!!

John