cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ricardor
Level I

Graph builder bar chart legends not matching fill pattern

I changed the fill patterns in some bars (belongs to an overlay categorical group) but it is not updated in the legends. Cant believe such a trivial problem turns out to be a nightmare. Any thought?

11 REPLIES 11
Thierry_S
Super User

Re: Graph builder bar chart legends not matching fill pattern

Hi,
I have tried to reproduce your problem with a mock table, but the legend for the bars updates correctly in my version of JMP (14.1 on PC).
Would it be possible to elaborate on the exact method you used to change the patterns (also, which version of JMP are you using)?
I'm not familiar with the placement of the legend within the graph frame (I'm using JMP 14.1): how did you get the legend to show up in the graph frame? I'm wondering if you have a static version of the legend that JMP does not update upon changing the bar patterns?
Thierry R. Sornasse
gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

@ricardor 

I agree with @Thierry_S, I do not see the problem . I attached a JMP script and a screen shot of the plot.

It worked using JMP Pro 13, 14 and 15 on Windows OS. You might want to document your operationg system and JMP version.  Also, from the Graph Builder red hot spot menu you can save the script to a script window. This might help debug the problem.

image.png

ricardor
Level I

I use JMP 14.0.0 Macintosh. I started from scratch, still not working.

Thierry_S
Super User

Hi again,

Forget about my comment on the Legend placement inside the graph frame: I was not paying full attention when I wrote that.
So, with the legend inside the graph frame, I'm still not able to reproduce your problem. Hence, understanding how you changed the bar patterns may provide insight on how to fix your problem.
Thierry R. Sornasse
ricardor
Level I

I dragged the treatment categorical column (N,C,L,D) to x axis, dragged the grain and stover biomass to y-axis separately. I also have two sites (L and E) which are in a categorical variable column. I dragged this site column to Overlay. Then it gives me what it looks as in the screenshot (but with default bar fill). I change the fill color and fill pattern the same way i.e. I clicked legend setting in the drop-down menu, and right clicked -> fill color/fill pattern of the bar that I want to change. The fill color is successfully updated in the legend but not the fill pattern.

I simply use the built-in legend position option in the drop-down menu, I tried without changing the legend position at all but the problem persist.

My JMP version is 14.0.0

Thierry_S
Super User

Hi,
Have you tried changing the patterns by right-clicking directly on the legend element you are trying to modify (not via the Legend Settings option in the main graph menu)?
That's the only thing I can come up with.
Sorry I cannot be of more help.
Best,
TS
Thierry R. Sornasse
gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

@ricardor,

Did you down load the script I attached, then right click and run?  Did is work?

Note when you click on the Legend for a specific  Overlay group ( in my example C1, or C2, C3, C4) it colors and patterns for both Y variables.

Instead double click on the Legend, select each Legend items and change accordingly.  i do not have a Mac to test if there is a differenc by OS.

However, if teh script I had attached runs, then you know it is doable,

ricardor
Level I

I just ran it, it did not work and the problem persist. I guess it is a version/OS thing. I will check for version update and let you know.

Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 7.51.05 PM.png

gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

I have  JMP 14.3