cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Jasclark4
Level I

Graph builder background map boundary lines disappear

I am working on a geographic map of South Dakota where I want points of individual fields to show up within each South Dakota County. I turn on the background boundary map for US Counties and they all show up for SD and all other states. I then go to customize and click on Shape: US counties and clip US States shape for South Dakota. However, when I do this the lines around the SD state boundary have several missing spots. Is there a way to fix this so all the lines show up when I clip the individual state of SD? I have JMP Pro 16.

2 REPLIES 2
Victor_G
Super User

Re: Graph builder background map boundary lines disappear

Hi @Jasclark4,

Welcome in the Community !
I'm not entirely sure about what you're trying to achieve, but have you check the option "Show missing shapes" in the Graph builder control panel on the left, under the "Map Shapes" panel ?

If left unchecked, only the states boundaries having data points will be visualized.
This recorded webinar might be helpful : Using Geographic Maps - JMP User Community

Hope it helps you,

Victor GUILLER
Scientific Expertise Engineer
L'Oréal - Data & Analytics
Craige_Hales
Super User

Re: Graph builder background map boundary lines disappear

That's not great. If you can use color, you can work around it, mostly, like this. (Oops. I should not have left that purple spline there!)

South DakotaSouth Dakota

To get that, I added Detailed Earth.

Several map layers. States + Counties makes a subtle difference.Several map layers. States + Counties makes a subtle difference.

Then I changed these

Clip the detailed earth. Move it up in the list to draw first.Clip the detailed earth. Move it up in the list to draw first.

and this

States and Counties. Not clipped, and bolder and transparent, to your taste.States and Counties. Not clipped, and bolder and transparent, to your taste.

And this

Make the graph's background muted.Make the graph's background muted.

Along the way I played with the marker size to make it stand out a bit amongst the extra noise.

The order of the items in the Customize Graph selector box is important; the solid map needs to be drawn first so other bits can draw on top of it.

Craige