cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
mikedriscoll
Level VI

Get min / max of selected data

Hi

I would like to know the most efficient way to get the min and max of a subset of a column.   I realize could do a select where(), and actually use the table subset function, and summarize, but I need the script to loop through thousands of columns (unique criteria per column) and I think opening / closing tables via subset is too slow.

I was hoping to do a select where() to select the rows, and then somehow get the selected data into a list, and return the min and max of the list. I've tried several things but haven't had any success. Any ideas?

Here's a simple test script. In this case I would want to return the min = 66 and the max = 70.

clear log();

clear globals();

names default to here (1);

Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" );

dtData = current data table();

dtData << clear select;

dtData << select where( :height > 65);

column("height") << set selected(1);

Thanks,

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Get min / max of selected data

Try <<get rows where() which should be faster than first selecting rows of interest.

dtData = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" );

rows = dtData << get rows where( :height > 65 );

min65 = Min( :height[rows] );

max65 = Max( :height[rows] );

Show( min65, max65 );

/*

min65 = 66;

max65 = 70;

*/

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

Try <<get rows where() which should be faster than first selecting rows of interest.

dtData = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" );

rows = dtData << get rows where( :height > 65 );

min65 = Min( :height[rows] );

max65 = Max( :height[rows] );

Show( min65, max65 );

/*

min65 = 66;

max65 = 70;

*/

mikedriscoll
Level VI

Thank you!  That is exactly the function i was looking for. I didn't realize that "get rows where()" existed... or that you could apply a list to the column and take a summary of that. Very nice.