cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Have your say in shaping JMP's future by participating in the new JMP Wish List Prioritization Survey
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
rlangsner
Level II

Get date and time out of a text in a cell

Hi,

I have a data set that reports the day and time within one cell in this format: "12.08.2022 15:46:43 GMT-0700" (the date format is dd.mm.yyyy).  I would like to create a column for the dates and a column for the time (I am going to assume that the time is the local time and the GMT-0700 is just indicating that is where the local time. So for each cell, I would like two columns:

Column 1: In date format: dd.mm.yyyy

Column 2: In time format 15:46:43

The different approaches that I have tried dont' quite seem to work, and I am wondering if it is due to the period between the month/day/year values?

Thanks,

Robert

Using JMP 16. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Craige_Hales
Super User

Re: Get date and time out of a text in a cell

dt = New Table( "Untitled", Add Rows( 1 ), New Column( "stamp", Character, "Nominal", Set Values( {"12.08.2022 15:46:43 GMT-0700"} ) ) );

dt << New Column( "time", Format( "H:m:s" ), formula( Informat( Substr( stamp, 12, 8 ), "h:m:s" ) ) );
dt << New Column( "date", Format( "d/m/y" ), formula( Informat( Substr( stamp, 1, 10 ), "d/m/y" ) ) );
dt << New Column( "datetime1", Format( "d/m/y H:m:s" ), formula( Informat( Substr( stamp, 1, 19 ), "d/m/y H:m:s" ) ) );

dt << New Column( "datetime2", Format( "yyyy-mm-ddThh:mm:ss" ), formula( Informat( Substr( stamp, 1, 19 ), "d/m/y H:m:s" ) ) );

Column formulas extract dates, times, and datetimes.Column formulas extract dates, times, and datetimes.

Usually you'll want a datetime column, not separate date and time columns.

Edit: I'm not sure where the formats are documented; I make a tiny data table, use the column properties to choose/test the format, then save the table script to a script window to grab the format name.

Craige

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Craige_Hales
Super User

dt = New Table( "Untitled", Add Rows( 1 ), New Column( "stamp", Character, "Nominal", Set Values( {"12.08.2022 15:46:43 GMT-0700"} ) ) );

dt << New Column( "time", Format( "H:m:s" ), formula( Informat( Substr( stamp, 12, 8 ), "h:m:s" ) ) );
dt << New Column( "date", Format( "d/m/y" ), formula( Informat( Substr( stamp, 1, 10 ), "d/m/y" ) ) );
dt << New Column( "datetime1", Format( "d/m/y H:m:s" ), formula( Informat( Substr( stamp, 1, 19 ), "d/m/y H:m:s" ) ) );

dt << New Column( "datetime2", Format( "yyyy-mm-ddThh:mm:ss" ), formula( Informat( Substr( stamp, 1, 19 ), "d/m/y H:m:s" ) ) );

Column formulas extract dates, times, and datetimes.Column formulas extract dates, times, and datetimes.

Usually you'll want a datetime column, not separate date and time columns.

Edit: I'm not sure where the formats are documented; I make a tiny data table, use the column properties to choose/test the format, then save the table script to a script window to grab the format name.

Craige
rlangsner
Level II

Thank you Craige. This worked exactly. You're right, I do want the time and date in one cell now that I think about it. 

vince_faller
Super User (Alumni)

If you get to the point where your local assumption isn't true.  It might be worth putting the times in UTC.  

Names default to here(1);
dt = New Table( "Untitled", Add Rows( 1 ), 
	New Column( "stamp", Character, "Nominal", Set Values( {
		"12.08.2022 15:46:43 GMT-0700", 
		"14.08.2022 15:46:43 GMT-0730" // just to show half hour time zones
	} ) ) 
);

dt << New Column("DT UTC", Format( "yyyy-mm-ddThh:mm:ss" ), formula( 
	timezone_offset = Num( Substr( :stamp, 24, 3 ) ) + Num( Substr( :stamp, 27, 2 ) ) / 60; // get the timezone offset
	Informat( Substr( :stamp, 1, 19 ), "d/m/y H:m:s" ) - timezone_offset * 3600; // turn from local to UTC
 ));
Vince Faller - Predictum