Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
statman
Super User

Gage R&R analysis?

I need some help with my JMP friends.

I have attached a simple typical Gage R&R data set (3 operators, 5 samples and 3 repeated measures).  This would be crossed then nested.  When I run the analysis and get variance components, all seems OK.  The I use the built in JMP Gage R&R platform (under the variability chart), the analysis is completely wrong.  What am I doing wrong?

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Gage R&R analysis?

Also, we should double-check the launch dialog. Here is the correct example:

dialog.JPG

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Here is the result from the MSA platform:

msa.JPG

Here is the result from the Variability Gauge platform with Gage R&R results:

vg.JPG

Are these the results that you see, too?

I think that the two factors are crossed. You do not enter Rep as a factor.

statman
Super User

@Mark_Bailey Mark, Here is what I see using the Gage R&R under Variability Plot:

Screen Shot 2020-12-15 at 11.15.49 AM.jpg

I agree that something is not correct. We are working with the same data table, but please confirm the meta-data shown on the left side of the data table:

meta-data.JPG

I worry that column attributes or row states might have changed for you and are interfering with the analysis.

Also, we should double-check the launch dialog. Here is the correct example:

dialog.JPG

I also manually verified the calculations starting with the variance components shown above.

gage rr.JPG

statman
Super User

@Mark_Bailey OK, I'll chalk that up to a SR. moment.  I did not put sample in the spot that asks for the sample ID.  You don't need to do that if you are just using the variance components.  I mentioned I had never used the Gage R&R platform before (I'm not a fan of that approach to measurement system analysis though I realize it is used often, no offense intended).

Now on to more important topics.  Mark & Pete, you guys are AWESOME.  Thanks for your patience.  Be safe!

Please do not feel bad for this mistake. You provide invaluable help and guidance in the Community. The fact is that JMP is very complex and sophisticated. I have to look up things all the time. I was able to master JMP 2. Not so much with JMP 15!