Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Dennisbur
Level IV

Formula

Hello

The last time I noted that I was receiving the wrong results in my formula.

I see that I received the wrong results when I have the sign "plus" in light grey color,

Dennisbur_0-1676280004519.png

but I see that I received the right result when I have the sign "plus" in dark grey color.

Dennisbur_1-1676280072274.png

Can you explain me what's the reason and how I can fix it?

Thank you

Dennis

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Victor_G
Super User

Re: Formula

Hello @Dennisbur,

In order to have your formula with the black sign, right click on your formula column, select "Column Info..." and check that option "Suppress Eval" is not checked :

Victor_G_0-1676290255493.pngVictor_G_3-1676290400551.png

If "Suppress Eval" is checked (or if you select it throught the menu you showed), then the formula will have the grey sign :

Victor_G_1-1676290346553.pngVictor_G_2-1676290362516.png

Once you have done your changes, click on "OK" and when you're back on the datatable, deselect your formula column (or click on another column) so that the changes are visible and effective.

I hope it is more clear ?

Victor GUILLER
Scientific Expertise Engineer
L'Oréal - Data & Analytics

View solution in original post

statman
Super User

To compliment Victor's explanation:

https://www.jmp.com/support/help/en/17.0/?os=mac&source=application#page/jmp/evaluate-formulas.shtml

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Victor_G
Super User

Hi @Dennisbur,

The difference you noticed may be due to a suppression of evaluation of your formula : Evaluate Formulas (jmp.com)

When the sign "plus" is in light grey color, that means the formula isn't being evaluated, so any changes you are doing with your formula won't re-calculate or update the results in your datatable (hence the wrong results you have seen).

This is an interesting option if you're building complex formula and don't want JMP to have a bug (or recalculating each time you're changing something in the formula) or report errors when the formula is still "in construction". 

Hope this answer will help you,

Victor GUILLER
Dennisbur
Level IV

Hello

So if I understood well, to return my formula to the normal condition I need to cancel "Suppress Eval"

Dennisbur_1-1676286968951.png

I have done it, but I see I have the sign "plus" in light grey color yet?

Victor_G
Super User

Hello @Dennisbur,

In order to have your formula with the black sign, right click on your formula column, select "Column Info..." and check that option "Suppress Eval" is not checked :

Victor_G_0-1676290255493.pngVictor_G_3-1676290400551.png

If "Suppress Eval" is checked (or if you select it throught the menu you showed), then the formula will have the grey sign :

Victor_G_1-1676290346553.pngVictor_G_2-1676290362516.png

Once you have done your changes, click on "OK" and when you're back on the datatable, deselect your formula column (or click on another column) so that the changes are visible and effective.

I hope it is more clear ?

Victor GUILLER
statman
Super User

To compliment Victor's explanation:

https://www.jmp.com/support/help/en/17.0/?os=mac&source=application#page/jmp/evaluate-formulas.shtml

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box