cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Filtering by col variable by other col variable

Hello,

I'm quite rusty on JMP and haven't had luck finding a relatively specific issue. 

I have a dataset with 7 columns and ~600,000 rows. I was hoping to filter the dataset by 2 of the variables. Specifically I only want to include the specific rows which have column variable "Peptide" represented in both of my other column variable "REGION" which has two categoric inputs (say Z and Y). For example in vastly simplified table below, the second row would not be in filtered table since Z is not represented for that peptide. 

PEPTIDEREGIONABUNDANCE
ABCZ11
CBSY17
ABCY13
CNNZ12
CNNY16

Thanks for any direction you can provide.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
pmroz
Super User

Re: Filtering by col variable by other col variable

To explain a little further with Jim's solution:

1. With your data table as the current window, click on the data filter icon.

2. Click on Region and then Add

3. If you want to filter by a second column, click And, click on Peptide, then click on Add

You'll get something like the picture below.  I clicked on the Z region, and then Shift-clicked on ABC

TableDataFilter.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
txnelson
Super User

Go to the pull down menu

Rows==>Data Filter

and you will be able to select multiple columns for filtering, and multiple values per filter column

Jim

I had looked at that but when I clicked my 2 variables in the region variable and all the peptides it doesn't select only the rows which have peptides with both region variables, it just selected every row in my dataset. Is there a way for me to achieve greater granularity with that tool?

Thank you for your input. 

uday_guntupalli
Level VIII

Adding to @txnelson : an implementation in JSL would be of the form : 

dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Time Series/Raleigh Temps.jmp" );

// Traditional Slider View 
dt << Graph Builder(
						Size( 814, 714 ),
						Variables(
							X( :Name( "Month/Year" ) ),
							Y( :Temperature ),
							Y( :Predicted Temperature, Position( 1 ) )
						),
						Elements( Line( X, Y( 1 ), Y( 2 ), Legend( 23 ) ) ),
						Local Data Filter( Conditional, Add Filter( columns( :Month Number ), Display( :Container, Size( 160, 225 ), List Display )) )
					);
Best
Uday

Thanks for the suggestion! Alas, I'm not that familiar with jmp script. Would you be able to break that down further? Understand if that would take too long though. 

uday_guntupalli
Level VIII

There is a graph builder option in JMP . image.png

Once , you open the Graph builder, use the local Data Filter that is provided as highlighted below . 

image.png

Now , what you want to do is , select columns on the basis of which you want to filter under Data Filter and you can achieve what you are after . 
The same can also be achieved through the Tabulate platform where the result is a table and not a graph . 

image.png

Best
Uday
pmroz
Super User

To explain a little further with Jim's solution:

1. With your data table as the current window, click on the data filter icon.

2. Click on Region and then Add

3. If you want to filter by a second column, click And, click on Peptide, then click on Add

You'll get something like the picture below.  I clicked on the Z region, and then Shift-clicked on ABC

TableDataFilter.png