cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
lakepotter
Level II

Extracting parameter estimates from nonlinear (sigmoidal) curve fit - scripting

Hi all, 

To quickly orient you: I am working with ELISA data (dose-response curve) so my independent variable is dilution factor, my dependent variable is absorbance, and I have multiple time points I am looking at for multiple animals. I'd like to be able to find the EC50 - dilution at half maximal response - with a nonlinear, sigmoidal, curve fit. I am currently using a  4 parameter model (Probit 4P).

Basically, I'd like to write a script that can get the data from the parameter estimates into a table, find the midway point between the upper and lower asymptotes for each curve, and then use that value in a custom inverse prediction to get the EC50. I'm pretty sure I can do the second two parts if I could just get the dang parameter estimates! 

Here's what I have for the curve fitting:

For ( i = 1, i <= N items (Mice), i++, 
		FC = Fit Curve (
		Y ( :Data ), 
		X (:Dilution ), 
		Group (:Timepoint),
		By(:Animal)

Fit Probit 4P, 
		Where (:Animal == eval(Mouse_names[i])), //thist isn't referencing the variable the way i expect but using either eval( ) or char( ) seems to be a work-around?...
	SendToReport(
		Dispatch(
			{"Plot"},
			"7",
			ScaleBox,
			{Format( "Fixed Dec", 12, 0 ), Min( 0 ), Max( 4 ), Inc( 2 ),
			Minor Ticks( 0 )}
		),
		Dispatch(
			{"Plot"},
			"6",
			ScaleBox,
			{Scale( "Log" ), Format( "Scientific", 12 ), Min( 0.0000001 ),
			Max( 0.1 ), Inc( 2 ), Minor Ticks( 0 )}
		),
		Dispatch(
			{"Plot"},
			"13",
			ScaleBox,
			{Format( "Fixed Dec", 12, 0 ), Min( 0 ), Max( 4 ), Inc( 2 ),
			Minor Ticks( 0 )}
		),
		Dispatch(
			{"Plot"},
			"16",
			ScaleBox,
		),
		Dispatch(
			{"Probit 4P", "Plot"},
			"7",
			ScaleBox,
			{Format( "Fixed Dec", Use thousands separator( 1 ), 12, 0 ), Min( 0 ),
			Max( 4 ), Inc( 2 ), Minor Ticks( 0 )}
		),
		Dispatch(
			{"Probit 4P", "Plot"},
			"6",
			ScaleBox,
		),
		Dispatch(
			{"Probit 4P", "Plot"},
			"13",
			ScaleBox,
			{Format( "Fixed Dec", Use thousands separator( 1 ), 12, 0 ), Min( 0 ),
			Max( 4 ), Inc( 2 ), Minor Ticks( 0 )}
		),
		Dispatch(
			{"Probit 4P", "Plot"},
			"16",
			ScaleBox,
		)
	)

);

FC << journal;
FC << close window;);

That works fine for me and I have the output of a journal with each Fit Curve with the model comparison, plot of the data, model info (including prediction model, summary of fit, *~*parameter estimates*~*, correlation of estimates, covariance of estimate, and plots of the modeled curve).  I can manually right click on the parameter estimates and "Make Into Combined Data Table" but don't know how to do it in a script.  Ideally, i would only have one data table at the end with columns for Animal, Parameter (growth rate, inflection point, lower asymptote, upper asymptote) Group ( these are my time points), Estimate, Std Error, Lower 95%, Upper 95%. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!  

5 REPLIES 5
gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Extracting parameter estimates from nonlinear (sigmoidal) curve fit - scripting

Here is an example, not exactly your specific example (this example uses By). I don't know your expertise in navigating a report window.

Names Default To Here( 1 );
dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Nonlinear Examples/Bioassay.jmp" );
obj = Fit Curve( Y( :Toxicity ), X( :log Conc ), By( :formulation ) );
obj << Fit Logistic 4P( Custom Inverse Prediction( Response( 0.9 ) ) );

//you can get one table using Make Combined Data Table
est_tbl= report(obj[1])["Parameter Estimates"][TableBox(1)] << Make Combined Data Table;
est_tbl << Set Name("Parameter Estimates");

inv_tbl = report(obj[1])["Inverse Prediction"]["Predicted Values"][TableBox(1)] << Make Combined Data Table;
inv_tbl << Set Name("Inverse Prediction");

Hope this helps.

Re: Extracting parameter estimates from nonlinear (sigmoidal) curve fit - scripting

Hello,

Once you have a handle to your journal, you can navigate the journal as shown below (similar to the post by @gzmorgan0) to generate the data table of combined Parameter Estimates.

jrn = Current Journal();
paramEst = jrn["Parameter Estimates"][Table Box( 1 )] << Make Combined Data Table;

I hope this is helpful!

Wendy
lakepotter
Level II

Awesome! Thanks so much for the answer - it defintely works for exactly what I need it for!! I'm just still trying to figure out what's going on underneath your code so I can use it in different applications in the future. 

Is this just indexing the journal by name, specifing that I do want the table box and making a new data table? 

I had seen other responses like 

dt2 = bivRep [1] [TableBox(3)]  << Make Combined Data Table;

but couldn't figure out what was really going on. Would this one take the third table box found in the first section (?) of bivRep and write out to a new dt? 

I am exploring a little but more and was able to get the Summary of Fit with

jrn["Summary of Fit"][Table Box (1)] << Make Combined Data Table;

but couldn't figure out how to do something like get the Correlation of Estimates for Week 5. 

I tried:

covar_pre = jrn["Covariance of Estimates"]["Week 5"][Table Box(1)] << Make Combined Table;

And got the error:

Cannot subscript Display Box{400} in access or evaluation of 'Subscript' , jrn["Covariance of Estimates"]["pre"][/*###*/Table Box( 1 )]

In the following script, error marked by /*###*/
paramEst = jrn["Covariance of Estimates"]["Week 5"][/*###*/Table Box( 1 )] <<
Make Combined Data Table

I guess *this* output is not a table box? I am not sure what sort of data it is and am not sure how to figure it out. 

lakepotter
Level II

My experience in navigating a report window is essentially zero. 

I searched the scripting guide for report window and didn't find much. Any resources you could point me towards? 

gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

Use

jrn["Correlation of Estimates"][MatrixBox(1)] << Make Combined Data Table;

Go to Main Menu> Help >Books > JMP Scripting Guide then open the PDF and scroll to Chapter 11, Display Trees.

A JMP report is a list of nested display boxes.  This will show you how to find objects and send messages.

jrn << show tree structure;

//or right click on a reveal button to the left of an outline box
// then select Edit, Show Tree Structure