cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
daultman

Extract the month, in text, from a JMP Date column

I can extract a month number from a date variable, but it is numeric only (1-12).  I know I can create a Match and force 1 = Jan, 5 = May, etc.  Is there a way I can use a simple formula to accomplish this?  Thank you.

I'm a retired dinosaur user - JMP 8

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Extract the month, in text, from a JMP Date column

Hi,

with up to date JMP Versions its very straightforward so this might help others searching for the same thing:

Right Click on the Date Column (date in my case) ->  New Formula Column -> Date Time -> Month Abbr.

This would be the jsl code for new formula column: 

Substr( Format( :date, "Monddyyyy" ), 1, 3 )

This might not work for JMP 8 but you can try it out. 

daultman

Re: Extract the month, in text, from a JMP Date column

Thank you for your very rapid reply.  I had previously searched the forum and found your suggested solution.  My version is ancient, and there is very limited right-clicking available.  I'm amazed my old program still works (Win11 and still alive).  I can easily extract the month out of the JMP date data, but is only numerical.  My backup is to create a Match formula and do the number-to-text conversion manually.  Not a big deal, really.  In my working years, we used JMP exclusively, mainly for DOE an exploratory analytics.  Now, I just play with it vs. EXCEL.  It's all good.