cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
markbyrd
Level II

Exporting Graphs from Graph Builder to Excel

I created a signifciant number of box-and-whister graphs that I want to be able to export them, one graph at a time, to my Excel file where I am telling a story about the data.   I have tried several methods, mostly trying to create pic files using jpeg but with so many graphs I can't seem to seperate the graphs.  Does anyone have any thoughts or information on ways you have been able to export graphs that you have produced in Graph Builder to Excel?   I am just looking to get multiple images above various tables.  Thanks for any advice!  

Mark

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Peter_Bartell
Level VIII

Re: Exporting Graphs from Graph Builder to Excel

If i interpret what you are trying to accomplish correctly, It's not exporting to Excel...but if all you are really using Excel for is as a recipient MS application for the multitude of graphs you've built in Graph Builder have you considered using the native to JMP en masse export capability into MS Word or PowerPoint, rather than Exel? The beauty of this workflow is if you've got a large number of graphs you want to export to a destination MS application, with a short workflow you can mass export ALL the graphs to the destination application.

The workflow is, first create all your graphs in the current JMP session, then from the JMP main menu bar, select File Save As, then from the File as type: window, select PowerPoint Presentation (*.pptx). Select Save. What happens is JMP calls a blank PowerPoint template that shipped with JMP, and deposits one visualization per PowerPoint slide, with a default slide title header and footer. From there you can edit each slide as you see fit within the PowerPoint application. Similar workflow for MS Word as well.

If you MUST use Excel as your reporting tool...maybe embedding a PowerPoint object created above, within the Excel worksheet could work too?

View solution in original post

Peter_Bartell
Level VIII

Shame on me for not including a link to the JMP online documentation providing lots of additional details and tips related to my initial reply above.

Here it is:

http://www.jmp.com/support/help/13-2/Save_as_PowerPoint.shtml

One thing some of my JMP customers also do is replace the blank generic PowerPoint template shipped with JMP with one of their own company/organizations blank PowerPoint templates. That way, the JMP graphs, charts, and tables all populate right into your own designated organization's template. The naming convention and file location for the JMP supplied template are in the documentation.

Good luck.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
pmroz
Super User

How about using copy/paste?  In a JMP graph window hit the S key (or click on the cross selection tool).  Highlight what you want to copy and hit CTRL-C.  Go to Excel and hit Paste Special, and select Picture (Enhanced Metafile).

markbyrd
Level II

That method selects every graph that I created in the window. It will not allow me to select one graph at a time.
Peter_Bartell
Level VIII

If i interpret what you are trying to accomplish correctly, It's not exporting to Excel...but if all you are really using Excel for is as a recipient MS application for the multitude of graphs you've built in Graph Builder have you considered using the native to JMP en masse export capability into MS Word or PowerPoint, rather than Exel? The beauty of this workflow is if you've got a large number of graphs you want to export to a destination MS application, with a short workflow you can mass export ALL the graphs to the destination application.

The workflow is, first create all your graphs in the current JMP session, then from the JMP main menu bar, select File Save As, then from the File as type: window, select PowerPoint Presentation (*.pptx). Select Save. What happens is JMP calls a blank PowerPoint template that shipped with JMP, and deposits one visualization per PowerPoint slide, with a default slide title header and footer. From there you can edit each slide as you see fit within the PowerPoint application. Similar workflow for MS Word as well.

If you MUST use Excel as your reporting tool...maybe embedding a PowerPoint object created above, within the Excel worksheet could work too?

markbyrd
Level II

This seems such a simple but wonderful solution. I will try that in both PPT and Word to see what which results in the best possible graph. Thanks so much for the solution that I know I will likely use a lot.
Peter_Bartell
Level VIII

Shame on me for not including a link to the JMP online documentation providing lots of additional details and tips related to my initial reply above.

Here it is:

http://www.jmp.com/support/help/13-2/Save_as_PowerPoint.shtml

One thing some of my JMP customers also do is replace the blank generic PowerPoint template shipped with JMP with one of their own company/organizations blank PowerPoint templates. That way, the JMP graphs, charts, and tables all populate right into your own designated organization's template. The naming convention and file location for the JMP supplied template are in the documentation.

Good luck.

Ressel
Level VI

Hi,

(Excuse, I'm a totally new user and operate JMP 14.0 on Win 10).

I cannot figure out how to export graphs. directly from teh graph window. 

My work flow: Open JMP training data file (e.g. Big Class), build graph, return to Big Class table & select "File --> Save As". Here I can only choose between jmp, txt, xls/xlxs, json, csv, tsv, sas7bdat & xpt.

When selecting xls/xlsx thsi always only export the data table, but never the graph. Even when combining the data table & graph into a single window, this will not result in exporting the graph.

Cheers,

Ressel / Patrick

Ressel
Level VI

P.s.: Sorry, I just now discovered that there is a thin blue strip for unfolding a tool bar under the window header. There I can indeed find the necessary buttons for exporting graphs to e.g. ppt & xlsx.
Please mark issue as resolved or delete comment. Sorry, thanks, over & out!
Ammarkara
Level I

Hi everyone
Please if anyone can help to edit the graph builder or export it to excel..I need to knw how can I edit the graph even when I save it as ppt.thanks
Peter_Bartell
Level VIII

One other thought for you is have you considered using JMP journaling as well? Journals offer lots of useful capabilities beyond just sharing JMP results in presentation mode. You can embed files (JMP and otherwise), web links, insert pictures, so if you are giving a presentation of findings, you can put pretty much anything you'd put into a PowerPoint presentation and NEVER leave the JMP ecosystem.

http://www.jmp.com/support/help/13-2/JMP_Journals.shtml