cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
shasheminassab
Level IV

Local data filter in a Dashboard with selection filter doesn't work

I am trying to build a dashboard with both a Selection Filter and Local Data Filter but it seems the Local Data Filter doesn't work. Any suggestion on how to fix the issue?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Local data filter in a Dashboard with selection filter doesn't work

There are many ways that you might have tried to include a filter but you didn't say what you have tried so I doubt that we can help without more information about the approach you took.

If you dragged a filter object into the dashboard window, it must be enclosed with the target object in a Data Filter Context Box and connected with a Data Filter Source Box. Omitting these boxes is a common reason for the filter not working.

shasheminassab
Level IV

Thanks @Mark_Bailey . Yes, first I selected the Template "Filter + 1 Dashbaord" and then dragged a Local Data filter (from Boxes menu) into the dashboard window. I also tried the "Hierarchical Filter + 1 Dahboard" template and used the local data filter as the first filter and it didn't work either. Is there any online document/ tutorial that explains what you mentioned about Data Filter Context Box and Data Filter Source Box? Does it require JSL coding?

Unfortunately, "dragged a Local Data filter (from Boxes menu) into the dashboard window" is not specific enough. It is important that you drop the object in the right location, such as inside another object. Blue lines appear to hint at the drop point and the affected boxes as a guide.

The context box provides the environment necessary for the filter to work with the other objects. Please see Help > JMP Documentation Library > Scripting Guide > Chapter 11: Display Trees. See the Construct Custom Windows section. The information about the two container boxes you need is on starts on page 560 in the current JMP 15.1 documentation.

You should also read Chapter 16: Creating Applications for a good overview of the process and the tools.

The Application Builder provides a drag and drop interface for combining the display boxes appropriately.

shasheminassab
Level IV

Thanks @Mark_Bailey for pointing out these resources. I will check them out and get back to you if I have any questions.