cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
carob810
Level I

Exponential fit

I just want fo fit an exponential curve to my XY data.  The Online Documentation indicates ''To launch the Nonlinear platform, select Analyze > Modeling > Nonlinear''. However, in ''Modeling'' I only have 2 choices (Partition and Time series). Is that normal? I have JMP 12 Mac. Thanks!

Here are my data:

xy

10256_pastedImage_4.png

Message was edited by: Caroline Bouchard

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DaveLee
Level IV

Re: Exponential fit

I think you might be looking for something like this. First, here's a plot of your data that you want to fit.

10273_pastedImage_0.png

By clicking Analyze>Modeling>Nonlinear, you get the following dialog box.

10274_pastedImage_1.png

Click the Model Library button and you'll see a variety of built-in models. You can even add your own custom formulas by editing a dll although I forget which one off the top of my head.  There's one titles First Order Decay Kinetics and you can view the formula as well as a graph with sliders as seem below.  You can click the 'Make Formula' button on the left graph and a new dialog appears asking you to input the x and y variables.  Once that is done the selected decay formula with be shown with your data as well as more sliders for 'What-If' scenarios. These can be used as your initial estimates for theta1 and theta2 which you must provide for a nonlinear fit.  Now you have a new column in your JMP data set containing the formula with initial estimates.

10276_pastedImage_3.png

Go back to Analyze>Modeling>Nonlinear, fill in the following and click 'OK'.  I took the liberty of editing the formula such that there was no theta3 parameter (i.e., assuming it can't go below zero).

10277_pastedImage_4.png

You'll get the following.  Click 'Go' and you'll see the 'best' fit based on the starting parameters and method of convergence.  You can save the prediction formula by accessing the red triangle.  Now you have your formula saved in the original table.

10278_pastedImage_5.png

Hope this helps.

Dave

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
mdawson69
Level IV

To perform curve fitting, use the Distribution platform. In the Distribution dialog, the data you wish to fit the curve to will be your Y value (Y, columns). Once you get the Distribution report, click on the drop menu (inverted red triangle) for the Y value you selected and you will see the option Continuous Fit and the submenu will contain the appropriate distributions that you may fit to your data.

The behaviour you are describing is due to your preference settings. Under File > Preferences > Menu make sure the advanced modelling option is checked.

You can do simple fits such as this using the fit-y-by-x platform. I made a new column called -x, with a formula (x*-1). From the bivariate hotspot choose Fit Special... and then under X Transformations: Exponential: e^x.

10259_224312reply.JPG

carob810
Level I

Thanks Stephen. However I need the formula for the original data (not transformed ones) in a decay-style graph. Also, I'm wondering the exponential fit on transformed data has different (better) p and adjustedR2 than the exponential fit on the original data (I obtained that with sigmaplot) ? Are they not supposed to be equivalent???

DaveLee
Level IV

I think you might be looking for something like this. First, here's a plot of your data that you want to fit.

10273_pastedImage_0.png

By clicking Analyze>Modeling>Nonlinear, you get the following dialog box.

10274_pastedImage_1.png

Click the Model Library button and you'll see a variety of built-in models. You can even add your own custom formulas by editing a dll although I forget which one off the top of my head.  There's one titles First Order Decay Kinetics and you can view the formula as well as a graph with sliders as seem below.  You can click the 'Make Formula' button on the left graph and a new dialog appears asking you to input the x and y variables.  Once that is done the selected decay formula with be shown with your data as well as more sliders for 'What-If' scenarios. These can be used as your initial estimates for theta1 and theta2 which you must provide for a nonlinear fit.  Now you have a new column in your JMP data set containing the formula with initial estimates.

10276_pastedImage_3.png

Go back to Analyze>Modeling>Nonlinear, fill in the following and click 'OK'.  I took the liberty of editing the formula such that there was no theta3 parameter (i.e., assuming it can't go below zero).

10277_pastedImage_4.png

You'll get the following.  Click 'Go' and you'll see the 'best' fit based on the starting parameters and method of convergence.  You can save the prediction formula by accessing the red triangle.  Now you have your formula saved in the original table.

10278_pastedImage_5.png

Hope this helps.

Dave