cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New to using JMP? Hit the ground running with the Early User Edition of Discovery Summit. Register now, free of charge.
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Estimating the average sample standard deviation from the standard error of the means of a set of samples.

I have a set of composite samples. Each is a composite of 8 charges of material collected in a single weigh boat. The weights were collected for each composite sample and divided by 8 for a mean sample weight. Is it possible to estimate the variation within the composited 8 from the large set of mean sample weights?

Thank you!
Jason

1 REPLY 1
MRB3855
Super User

Re: Estimating the average sample standard deviation from the standard error of the means of a set of samples.

Hi @ResponseOtter42 : If I correctly understand your situation: My first thought is that if you have a large number of these averages as you've defined them (one average from each weight boat), you can calculate the SD of these weigh boat averages. Then multiply that SD by sqrt(N), where N=8.