cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
skris
Level I

Embedding an interactive JMP graph in a C# application

I am using JMP 11. Using the Automation Reference document and the JMPStarter C# sample application, I was able to get a simple C# application working.

I am now looking to embed a JMP graph into an existing C# form. All the examples I have seen, open a new JMP window with the JMP report file.

Is there a way to launch the JMP report (or just a graph or journal) within a C# form or a user-control, instead of as a separate JMP window?

I have attached an image that describes what I am trying to do.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Embedding an interactive JMP graph in a C# application

I'm afraid you can't put a live report in.  You can put in the graphic or the RTF output of a report, but not the live contents.  To see how to copy in a static image you can look at the Analysis VB example that is installed with JMP.  The Bivariate report contains an example.

Brian Corcoran

JMP Development

skris
Level I

Hi Brian, thanks for getting back to me.

If it is not possible to directly put in a live report, I was wondering if I could use the interactive HTML report instead.

I was reading about the JMP interactive HTML report and I see that it has all the corresponding data embedded in it.

Sharing Interactive Web Reports From JMP®

Since the data is embedded in the HTML file, I was thinking about somehow extracting the data the is linked to elements in the plot.

For example, this report allows me to click on specific data points and they are then highlighted on the plot. Is there a way to then grab the data linked in the HTML file, for the highlighted data points?

I tried looking at a sample HTML report in an editor, but was not able to decipher much about how the data is linked. Any pointers would be great. Thanks again for your help!

Hi,

If you are referring to just extracting the data that is currently selected, that is in-memory.  JavaScript code within the web page is creating an in-memory graphic and maintaining the states of the selected points.  There is no way currently to have the report export the current selections to a table or clipboard.

Brian

skris
Level I

I see, so even though it has the data embedded in the HTML file itself, the state of each data point is stored in-memory.

So the report would need to be modified to write out the selected data points, each time their state changes. I have no expertise with this though, so this will not work.

Have you considered embedding a web browser control into your UI / form?  You could then just point the control to the html5 output.  If it was a modern control, you might be able to still have live graphics.

Brian

skris
Level I

I haven't explored the HTML5 reports much, but I was planning on using the web browser control in my form to access the interactive HTML report.

Essentially, I am looking for communicating back to my form, the data points that were selected in the plot. This is why I was asking about somehow extracting the selected points from the HTML report. Would this be possible with the HTML5?