cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Heinrich
Level II

Edit styles of multiple axes at once

Dear all, is there a easy way to edit the style for several y-axis in graph builder. For instance I want to change all bar graphs to float style at one, or I want to have on every box plot the confidence diamond. How can I do this without changing every axis or for the box plots every box individually. Thank you

jmp box plots.jpgjmp bar graphs.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
julian
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: Edit styles of multiple axes at once

Hi @Heinrich,

There are three ways I usually go about this, each of which is worth knowing.

Method 1: Customize First, Then Add More Variables

When you add additional Y variables to your Y-axis they will inherit the properties of the graphs before them. So, with just a single Y variable on your Y axis, make the customizations you want, and then bring in your additional Y variables and they will also use those settings. This will work for all element styles, as well as customizations you made in Right Click > Customize. 

gb-y.gif

Method 2: Broadcast Changes to Elements

If you're just changing element properties/styles, you can broadcast a change by holding down the control key (or the command key, on a mac), and then Right Click one of the plots, then make your change. This will "broadcast" that change to other plots in Graph Builder. Note that you need to do this by right-clicking the plot, not in the elements control panel on the left. Also, this method will not work for customizations you wish to make in Right Click > Customize. 

gb-2.gif

Method 3: Copy Customizations, then Broadcast Customizations

To standardize customizations you make in a plot (using right-click > customize) you can use the same broadcast method, but after copying the customizations. Right-click the plot you have customized > Edit > Copy Customizations. Next, hold the control key (or command on the mac), then right-click any plot > Edit > Paste Customizations.

gb-3.gif

I hope one of these methods helps!

@julian 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
julian
Community Manager Community Manager

Hi @Heinrich,

There are three ways I usually go about this, each of which is worth knowing.

Method 1: Customize First, Then Add More Variables

When you add additional Y variables to your Y-axis they will inherit the properties of the graphs before them. So, with just a single Y variable on your Y axis, make the customizations you want, and then bring in your additional Y variables and they will also use those settings. This will work for all element styles, as well as customizations you made in Right Click > Customize. 

gb-y.gif

Method 2: Broadcast Changes to Elements

If you're just changing element properties/styles, you can broadcast a change by holding down the control key (or the command key, on a mac), and then Right Click one of the plots, then make your change. This will "broadcast" that change to other plots in Graph Builder. Note that you need to do this by right-clicking the plot, not in the elements control panel on the left. Also, this method will not work for customizations you wish to make in Right Click > Customize. 

gb-2.gif

Method 3: Copy Customizations, then Broadcast Customizations

To standardize customizations you make in a plot (using right-click > customize) you can use the same broadcast method, but after copying the customizations. Right-click the plot you have customized > Edit > Copy Customizations. Next, hold the control key (or command on the mac), then right-click any plot > Edit > Paste Customizations.

gb-3.gif

I hope one of these methods helps!

@julian 

Heinrich
Level II

Thank you very much

txnelson
Super User

If @julian response is a solution, please mark it as such, to allow users such as me quick access to the solution for your discussion question.  It really makes it easier for users.

Jim
mgrun
Level I

Is there a way to apply these solutions to graphs in multiple pages? For example, if try to apply Method 1 by customizing my graph first and then adding an additional variable to the Page box, the resulting graphs revert back to the original settings (such as axis label and increments).

PeelTheBeat
Level I

I also have this question about pages.