cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ericx
Level II

Dynamically fill out JMP data table with Excel

I'm using JMP 16 and would like to know if there was an easy way for JMP to automatically fill out the data table as I make changes to it on Excel.  Right now I keep having to save each file and copy and paste my scripts over but that gets cumbersome as I make a small change in Excel. 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dynamically fill out JMP data table with Excel

If you are willing to learn VBA (Visual Basic for Applications), you can use it to drive JMP from Excel.  A VBA programming environment is built into Excel.  You can drive JMP using the Automation interface.  This will only work if  you are on a Windows machine.  The Automation guide is included in the Documentation directory of your JMP install.  This is definitely more on the advanced end.

Brian Corcoran

JMP Development

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
txnelson
Super User

Using the JMP Add In for Excel would allow you to move all of the data from your Excel spreadsheet into JMP after any change, with one click. You were not specific about where the scripts that you copy and paste are coming from, but I am pretty sure the moving of them could be accomplished by running a simple script that could be installed as a JMP Addin. If you can provide more specifics, I am sure the community will be able to help you with minimizing your efforts.
Jim
ericx
Level II

Thank you. The scripts were things on graph builder that I made myself. I have the JMP Add In but it opens a new file every time - is there a way to keep it in the same file?
txnelson
Super User

Yes  the Add In will create a new data table, but a very simple script can be run with another simple click, that will copy the scripts into the new data table, and then delete the old table.

Jim
ericx
Level II

Thanks, do you have a guide on how to make such a script? I'm very new to JMP and not sure how to script on it.

If you are willing to learn VBA (Visual Basic for Applications), you can use it to drive JMP from Excel.  A VBA programming environment is built into Excel.  You can drive JMP using the Automation interface.  This will only work if  you are on a Windows machine.  The Automation guide is included in the Documentation directory of your JMP install.  This is definitely more on the advanced end.

Brian Corcoran

JMP Development