cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Yotam
Level III

Dynamic chart creator

Hi,

I would like to write a script that helps the user to create some required charts with less mouse clicks.

For example, typically when I'm making charts manually, I have to first create X-Y graph, then select legend, then click on Automatic recalc, Unselected faded, group by, and put splines. This turns out to be very tedious.

So basically what I want to write is a script that the user would only have to select Y columns, X columns, Legend column and Group By column. And the script would do the rest.

Clarification: Obviously I know how to script this for a given data table, where I know the columns names and the charts I want to create. What I want here is to enable the user to select the columns he wants in ANY given data table he is working on. I suppose the solution would require loops and variables.

I hope I explained myself clearly.

Any help and guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
txnelson
Super User

Re: Dynamic chart creator

It sounds to me, what you really need to do, is to change the Preferences for each of the Platform's you and your users use. Then when you or a user used the normal Dialog Screen for a given Platform, it would have all of the desired selections already being displayed.
File==>Preferences==>Platforms
Jim
Yotam
Level III

Thanks!

I guess it could also be a solution. The question is whether I can pre define there everything I need.

So a follow up question - Where can I define the following:

1. Automatic recalc for X-Y plot & variability chart?

2. When I do fit spline -> other, is there a way that the Standardize X box would be checked by default?

I looked it up but couldn't find it.

Thanks

Bivariate(
	Y( :y_column),
	X( :x_column ),
	group by(:group_column),
	Automatic Recalc( 1 ),
	Fit spline (0.1, Standardized, {Report(0)}),
	SendToReport(
		Dispatch(
			{},
			"Bivar Plot",
			FrameBox,
			{Marker Selection Mode( "Unselected Faded" ),
			Row Legend(
				legend_column,
				Color( 1 ),
				Color Theme( "JMP Default" ),
				Marker( 0 ),
				Marker Theme( "" ),
				Continuous Scale( 0 ),
				Reverse Scale( 0 ),
				Excluded Rows( 0 )
			)}
		)
	)
)
txnelson
Super User

The Automatic Recalc preference is available for both the Bivariate and Variability Chart

auto.PNG

The ability to Fit a Spline is there, but it does not have the "Standardize" checkbox surfaced in the Preferences.

Jim
Yotam
Level III

Turns out I was using JMP12, where the Automatic recalc option was not available in the preferences.

I switched to JMP14 and now I see it.

Thanks!

Find an example (data set), set up the plot exactly the way you want, save the script to a script window, then remove the Y() and X() role arguments. Run the script. It should present the default launch dialog where the user can enter the current variables into the appropriate role. Click OK and the other features should be active.

Yotam
Level III

Thanks!

I tried it and it worked. Follow up question: Is there a way to also remove the group by and legend column specification, in order to enable the user to choose?

For example, in the script below. When I removed X and Y like you suggested, I did get the prompt to choose them.But can I get a prompt for group by and legend as well?

Bivariate(
	Y( :y_column),
	X( :x_column ),
	group by(:group_column),
	Automatic Recalc( 1 ),
	Fit spline (0.1, Standardized, {Report(0)}),
	SendToReport(
		Dispatch(
			{},
			"Bivar Plot",
			FrameBox,
			{Marker Selection Mode( "Unselected Faded" ),