Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
TDK_Long
Level III

Dot Plot Error in Jump

Hi folks,

I am using Jump to make a dot plot, somehow the result is different from the Excel plot. As shown below, Figure 1 is Jump plot, the region within the red circle is intermittent dot. Figure 2 is Excel plot, the region within the red circle is a continuous plot. I am attaching the Excel raw data, could anyone help me debug the Jump plot? Thanks. 

TDK_Long_0-1718297587786.png

TDK_Long_2-1718297790329.png

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Dot Plot Error in Jump

It appears as if your x-axis variable has fewer significant figures in JMP vs Excel. I've had better results when exporting from Excel when not using Scientific Notation.

jthi
Super User

I'm not familiar anymore with excel plotting but for me they aren't "continuous". If you increase the plot size you might start seeing difference

jthi_0-1718298976711.png

or make plot smaller in JMP and the white area will disappear

jthi_1-1718299011235.png

-Jarmo
TDK_Long
Level III

Hi jithi,

Could you use the following Excel file to replot. The previous Excel file that I uploaded was not the correct one. 

The interesting thing is that Excel file plot has a smooth line within the red circle region. However, the jumper plot seems to have multiple Y values to each X at that red circled region. Please advise it. Thanks.

TDK_Long_0-1718300751795.png

Hi @TDK_Long,

I'm fairly certain this is a rounding artifact from Excel's export. Looking at line 1207 in the .csv file, there are only 3 significant figures in the X column (1.03E+01 in Excel = 10.3 in JMP). I'm assuming your original Excel file has more significant figures, but is only displaying 3 of them, and Excel is exporting the 3 figures/digits into the .CSV file. This will cause the intermittent dots in JMP, because JMP doesn't have this information that Excel isn't exporting.

If this assumption is correct, then changing the number format in Excel before exporting will allow more detail (a smoother line) in JMP.

Jed_Campbell_0-1718301193592.png

TDK_Long
Level III

Hi Jed,

Thanks for your detailed explanation. Now I understand the root cause is t he scientific numbers are rounded. I can get a smooth plot in the Jump. Much appreciated.

TDK_Long_0-1718302107852.png

pmroz
Super User

By the way the product is called JMP, not JUMP.  Pronounced the same, different spelling.