Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
JanneI
Level III

Does Split-platform work correctly?

Hello,

I have been mystified by the Split-platform (Table -> Split). I think that with some conditions, splitting does not work correctly. I provide a simplified example here. Lets assume that I have a following table (also file attached):

JanneI_0-1646399562098.png

If I open now the Split-platform (Table -> Split) and give inputs as follow:

JanneI_1-1646399644533.png

I would expect to get following outcome:

JanneI_3-1646399777915.png

But I am getting the following output: 

JanneI_2-1646399735818.png

If one looks the realized output table more carefully, one can see that values originally mapped for Product A  gets mapped to Product B. This is wrong. This happens if there are non-equal amount of rows per feature to be split. With larger datasets, this is very difficult to notice and can lead to very wrong conclusions. 

Can somebody confirm this so that I not alone with these thoughts?

I am running JMP 16.2.

Janne 

9 REPLIES 9
Thierry_S
Super User

Re: Does Split-platform work correctly?

Hi Jannel,

In your example, you did not specify the Grouping variable, resulting in the odd behavior you observed. Use Product as your Group variable for accurate split.

Best,

TS

Thierry R. Sornasse
JanneI
Level III

Hi Thierry_S,

Thanks for your suggestion. However, no matter what I use as Grouping variable, I don't get the result what I would like to have (below):

JanneI_0-1646403175315.png

If you think that grouping is the key, you need to give more detailed step by step instructions.

thanks;

Janne

jthi
Super User

Could be that JMP has no idea how you want to split the data, as you have "duplicates".

If the data had "unique" products feature combinations like:

jthi_1-1646403571896.png

With these settings

jthi_0-1646403558257.png

You would end up with

jthi_2-1646403588029.png

-Jarmo
dale_lehman
Level VII

I was able to get your desired result but it required 2 steps.  First, split your original table by Feature and by Product (with price as the column to be split).  Then do a stack - multiple series (2, contiguous) of the 4 columns you obtained, and you get the desired results.  I'm not sure if there is a way to do this with a single command.

JanneI
Level III

Thanks Jarmo and Dale for your suggestions. Dale's solution works but at least for me, it is not very intuitive.

The first proposal by Thierry_S to use grouping variable would be intuitive. I am sad to see what grouping does; just last data rows per group get in and all other data rows get vanished (see captures below (Unless each row used for grouping is unique as Jarmo suggested)). Generally, when I do split, most certainly my intent is not to vanish the data and thus not very happy for need to have special tricks to avoid this. Maybe there is some logic which is just beyond of my understanding

JanneI_0-1646660244007.png

JanneI_1-1646660295970.png

David_Burnham
Super User (Alumni)

Split is working the way it is designed to work - unfortunately that is not how you might intuitively expect it to work.

My view is that you can only reliably use it to generate the split data and label columns - the option to keep columns doesn't always work as expected, which can make it dangerous to use.

Intuitively you would expect the data in the "keep" columns to remain aligned with the split data - but JMP doesn't do that.  Split makes no attempt to maintain the alignment between the split and keep data (this is not my opinion - this is the answer from JMP Support when I raised the same issue recently).

-Dave
David_Burnham
Super User (Alumni)

The work around is to (1) create subset tables for each level of 'feature' (2) for each subset table rename the data column to be the feature name (3) perform an outer join in the subset tables.

-Dave
mvanderaa1
Level IV

Just want to say I fully agree with Jannel; the current functionality is not intuitive and extremely likely to mess up your data. At the very least the software should notify the user when the data does not comply to the functionality as is.

JanneI
Level III

See also discussion here: Losing Unique Values When Doing Table Split