cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
gandi2223
Level III

Disable exit dialog

Is there a way to disable the dialog that's shown upon exiting JMP ("Closing this window will cause JMP to exit. What would you like to do?"). No other program requires a confirmation of this type, I don't see why JMP should. Clicking the X in the top right of the window (on a Windows machine) should be enough to quit JMP, no further questions required.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Eric_Hill
Staff

Re: Disable exit dialog

Hold the phone - I looked a little more, and there is a command line option that can be used to disable that exit warning:

-NoExitWarn

So if you open the properties of the shortcut from which you start JMP, and add "-NoExitWarn" to the end of the Target: property (the JMP command line), you will not get the confirmation dialog when you close the last JMP window.

HTH,

Eric

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Eric_Hill
Staff

Hey, gandi2223,

Sadly, I do not believe we have an option to turn off that confirmation dialog.  If you can train yourself to quit JMP by using the Ctrl+Q menu shortcut, however, you will not get that prompt.  I understand that that means you are having to teach yourself to close JMP using a non-standard mechanism.  But that's the workaround we have.  If you feel strongly about this, I would suggest contacting JMP Technical Support and making this request.

Thanks,

Eric

Eric_Hill
Staff

Hold the phone - I looked a little more, and there is a command line option that can be used to disable that exit warning:

-NoExitWarn

So if you open the properties of the shortcut from which you start JMP, and add "-NoExitWarn" to the end of the Target: property (the JMP command line), you will not get the confirmation dialog when you close the last JMP window.

HTH,

Eric

mcstagger
Level III

Where did you find this out?

Eric_Hill
Staff

I peeked at the source code (I am a JMP employee). I am currently unsure whether there is a set of command line options that we test and therefore can document, but -NoExitWarn seems like a fairly safe one.

Eric

mcstagger
Level III

Ah, got it. Thanks!

tsl
tsl
Level III

Is there any way to provide this command line option when kicking off JMP from a C# program ?

I have some code like where I start an instance of JMP via  JMP.Application myJMP = new JMP.Application();

I then run a script by  myJMP.RunJSLFile(args[0]); where args[0] is part of the command line argument to the C# code.

I am getting some very strange behavior since I upgraded to JMP 15.2 in which issuing a close(<datatable>,nosave) from within the JMP script causes a "Closing the window will cause JMP to exit. What would you like to do?" dialog to come up.

Which makes no sense to me - it isn't even the only JMP dataset open in the script at that point.

I at least would like for this dialog to not come up and wanted to see would the -nowarn option help.

Pressing "Exit JMP" actually doesn't cause JMP to exit in this case, it carries on with the rest of the script !

Craige_Hales
Super User

I can't answer most of your questions, but I'm guessing there are no other JMP windows open in 15.2, and perhaps there were before. Maybe if you force the log window open, for example, that will resolve the issue.

Open Log();
Craige
tsl
tsl
Level III

I solved my own problem. It was nothing to do with JMP 15.2 ( well, it might be, but it's confounded with something else ). 

It turned out I was invoking a JMP function in my script  in which I had recently added the statement :

Batch Interactive(1);

// some code;

Batch Interactive(0);

I did this because, irrespective of interactive or batch usage, I wanted a particular message to go the log and never to a JMP dialog window. ( It was to do with connecting to a database, sometimes an Oracle timeout occurs and I wanted to do an automatic re-try and not bother the user with the error message )

So I wanted to turn Batch mode on ( Batch Interactive(1) ) briefly, take care of the database connectivity, and then revert to normal mode.

Now: it turns out that the following seems to be true :

If you run a JMP script via C# automation  _and_ you have the Batch Interactive(0) statement in that script _and_ you attempt to issue a close() command to a datatable during that script, you are guaranteed to get a  message saying "Closing this window will cause JMP to Exit, what do you want to do?".

It doesn't matter if there's 100 windows open, if you attempt to close any one of them, this message comes up. It doesn't happen if you run the script from within JMP, only if you run it from C#.

I believe this is a bug in JMP, it is certainly undesirable behavior.

Admittedly it's an error on my part to set Batch Interactive(0) during a script that is being run from a C# automation ( the whole intent there is to batch it to run automatically )....but... JMP still shouldn't bring up an inaccurate dialog that closing a given data table is going to cause JMP to exit ( which doesn't happen )

Craige_Hales
Super User

@briancorcoran 

Craige