cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
mkhoddam
Level II

Difference between two Cpk analysis tool

Hi all,

I have generated random data from Johnson Sl distr. and saved it in a column. Now, when I use these two Cpk analysis tolls, I get diff. results:

1. Analyze> Quality and Process> Process capability

2. Analyze> Fit > Capability analysis (I have tried all of the options for long term, moving range, ...)

For both method I chose Johnson Sl distr. and the same USL.

So, how come I get diff. results? Which one is better? 

Thanks,

Mona

9 REPLIES 9
Georg
Level VII

Re: Difference between two Cpk analysis tool

Dear Mona,

I could not reproduce your Problem, please see the following script, that generates that table,

and the two scripts generate the capability Reports (one via Process Capability, the other via Distribution).

But when running the script more times, all cpk's are different, because the data is newly generated by the Formula behind.

Maybe that's the Problem? You could simply delete the Formula to "fix" the data.

Best regards,

Georg

New Table( "Johnson SI Capability",
	Add Rows( 100 ),
	Compress File When Saved( 1 ),
	New Script(
		"Distribution",
		Distribution( Continuous Distribution( Column( :Johnson SI ) ) )
	),
	New Script(
		"Process Capability",
		Process Capability(
			Process Variables( :Johnson SI ),
			Moving Range Method( Average of Moving Ranges ),
			Individual Detail Reports( 1 ),
			Capability Box Plots( 1 ),
			Goal Plot( 1 ),
			Capability Index Plot( 1 ),
			Process Performance Plot( 0 )
		)
	),
	New Script(
		"Distribution of Johnson SI",
		Distribution(
			Continuous Distribution(
				Column( :Johnson SI ),
				Process Capability( Use Column Property Specs )
			)
		)
	),
	New Column( "Johnson SI",
		Numeric,
		"Continuous",
		Format( "Best", 12 ),
		Formula( Random Johnson Sl( 1, 1, 1 ) ),
		Set Property(
			"Spec Limits",
			{LSL( 1 ), USL( 3 ), Target( 2 ), Show Limits( 1 )}
		),
		Set Selected
	)
);
Georg

You did not state what version you are using.  Using JMP Version 15 or 16, the results should be the same.  In version 14, I expect them to be different.  In Version 14, Process Capability was updated and is using a different Johnson fitter.  This Johnson fitter uses quantile matching rather than maximum likelihood by default.  The distribution platform in 14 uses maximum likelihood.  Beginning with Version 15, the distribution platform was updated and the Johnson fitter uses quantile matching so I would expect them to match.

mkhoddam
Level II

@tonya_mauldin I am using JMP 14.3.0

I expect them to be different in 14.3.  Distribution is using maximum likelihood to fit the Johnson distribution.  Process Capability is using quantile matching to fit the Johnson distribution.  Check your distribution parameters, I doubt they are the same!  If the distributional fits are not the same, the capability statistics will be different.

mkhoddam
Level II

Thanks for your reply. I tried maximum likelihood method for Process capability but still getting diff. results.

Yes, they will be different in all flavors of Version 14.  In Version 15 and 16 they will be same as Distribution was updated to the newer method used in Process Capability.

Georg
Level VII

Using JMP15 on Win10 (sorry, I forgot)
Georg

If you want to post an example either here or to technical support, this issue can be researched further.  Otherwise, we are just guessing at possible scenarios.

mkhoddam
Level II

@Georg
No, the data is fixed. The difference is still there and the same all the time.