cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
PedCards2017
Level I

Desperate help on non-normally distributed tests in JMP!

I am fairly junior in the stats realm and am trying to figure most of this out on my own. 

My data is non-normally distributed (already ran the Shapiro Wilke normality test) and I have multiple variables I am trying to compare between 2 groups over multiple time periods with p-valves for each time period and each variable. Some of the reading I have done seems like I should run a Wilcoxon rank sum test but having trouble setting it up correctly in JMP (even with the help section online) or if anyone else knows if I should be using another type of test I would appreciate it! 

12 REPLIES 12
PedCards2017
Level I

Re: Desperate help on non-normally distributed tests in JMP!

That didn't really work for my data. Also, any reason why a column of numerical data is showing up as ordinal in the tables when I go to analyze? Do i need to enter something into blank boxes in order to not analyze those? 

In what way "didn't (it) really work?"

Did the numerical data begin with the character data type? Did you convert it to the numeric data type? If so, you must also switch the modeling type from nominal to continuous.

MRB3855
Super User

What do you mean by “that didn’t really work for my data”. What is the “that” that didn’t work, and what do you mean by “didn’t really work”.

As for the ordinal issue, you’ll have to make sure the data are in the correct format (https://www.jmp.com/support/help/en/17.0/index.shtml#page/jmp/column-properties-in-jmp.shtml).

Therein it says:

To assign a column property to one or more columns

1.Select the column or columns to which you want to assign a property.

2.Do one of the following:

Right-click the header area, select Column Properties, and select the property.

Right-click the header area, select Column Info, and select the property from the Column Properties menu.

Select Cols > Column Info and select the property from the Column Properties menu.

3.In the column property panel that appears, specify values and select options as appropriate.