cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
owiuser
Level I

Decision trees: same model inputs, different results

I just repeated a decision tree analysis that I originally did yesterday. The data input and all the modeling options were identical in both runs. However the results differed. I tried it again and got yet a different set of results. Why does this happen?  It will be disconcerting to report results that can't be independently replicated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
David_Burnham
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Decision trees: same model inputs, different results

20% of your data is being held back for validation.  The validation data is sampled randomly so you will get a different set each time.

If you have JMP Pro you can create a validation column and control the hold-back sample that way.  If you don't have Pro, you can try this:

1. Add a new column and initialize the data as a random indicator - by default 20% will have the value 1 and 80% the value 0.

2. Exclude all the rows with value 1

3. Run the Partition platform (with 0 for validation portion),

It should automatically use the excluded rows for validation.

-Dave

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

What version of JMP are you using? What options are you specifying in the launch dialog?

-Jeff

-Jeff
owiuser
Level I

JMP 12.0.1

I have checked the informative missing box, held 0.2 for validation, and then manually performed 2 splits.  The response variable is categorical.  The same two X variables are selected in the different runs, but the cut-off points for the splits and model fitting results are different.

David_Burnham
Super User (Alumni)

20% of your data is being held back for validation.  The validation data is sampled randomly so you will get a different set each time.

If you have JMP Pro you can create a validation column and control the hold-back sample that way.  If you don't have Pro, you can try this:

1. Add a new column and initialize the data as a random indicator - by default 20% will have the value 1 and 80% the value 0.

2. Exclude all the rows with value 1

3. Run the Partition platform (with 0 for validation portion),

It should automatically use the excluded rows for validation.

-Dave
owiuser
Level I

Thank you David!  I should have figured that out myself.

Dave