Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
andykpdf
Level I

Data table "save" grayed out, even after data added

Hi All,

I have a JMP data table (.jmp) saved on a shared drive. A JSL script opens this data table and allows the user to interactively add rows of data to it via popup dialogues. The popups allow the user to select additional data files (excel), and the JSL script appends the contents to the open data table programmatically (via

dt << Update(...).

After the rows are added, the user is expected to manually re-save the modified data table to the shared drive. However, the Save icon / menu item is often grayed out (even though rows of data have been added to the open data table). I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this -- can anyone help?

I assume there is a trigger in the JMP UI that detects when an open data table has been modified, and un-grays the Save icon. I am able to un-gray the icon by manually modifying one of the fields in the open data table, but am unable to do so programmatically. I can post a simplified code example if that's helpful, but it will basically be several Open()s followed by multiple Update()s.

I am opening the data table with Open(path). I tried using Open(path, Force Refresh), but this didn't change the behavior. I'm on JMP 16.1.0/Windows.

Thanks,

Andy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mikedriscoll
Level VI

Re: Data table "save" grayed out, even after data added

Assuming the table is not locked...

I don't know if it will help but you could try upgrading to 16.2 which is the latest version.

You could try running this code to see if the first table has the save icon grayed out or not. It is not grayed out for me. May not help much but it's another data point as to what the problem may be.

Names Default To Here( 1 );
dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Trial1.jmp" );
dt2 = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Little.jmp" );
dt << Update(
	With( Data Table( "Little" ) ),
	Match Columns( :popcorn = :popcorn, :batch = :batch, :oil amt = :oil )
);

Or just put this code after the update command.  This marks the data table dt as changed even if a change has not occurred.

dt << Set Dirty();

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hi @andykpdf 

Is the file locked? If so, you cannot save the locked file. It might be locked for a number of reasons, but on a shared drive, it might mean that the file is open by someone else.

scott_allen_0-1655295766094.png

Here is a thread on some troubleshooting: Check if table is read-only? 

-Scott

-Scott
mikedriscoll
Level VI

Assuming the table is not locked...

I don't know if it will help but you could try upgrading to 16.2 which is the latest version.

You could try running this code to see if the first table has the save icon grayed out or not. It is not grayed out for me. May not help much but it's another data point as to what the problem may be.

Names Default To Here( 1 );
dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Trial1.jmp" );
dt2 = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Little.jmp" );
dt << Update(
	With( Data Table( "Little" ) ),
	Match Columns( :popcorn = :popcorn, :batch = :batch, :oil amt = :oil )
);

Or just put this code after the update command.  This marks the data table dt as changed even if a change has not occurred.

dt << Set Dirty();

andykpdf
Level I

Thanks @mikedriscoll, the dt << Set Dirty(); solution works!