cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
parag
Level I

D efficiency

I am new to JMP. In DOE, what is the significance of D efficiency and I efficiency. When I make a custom design model, should the D efficiency be under or over certain value for my design to be useful? In a model I made my D-efficiency is 74 % what does this mean? My design is good/bad/okay?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
louv
Staff (Retired)

Re: D efficiency

The measures of efficiency are scaled between 0 to 100

The efficiency is a measure of the goodness of a design relative to a hypothetical orthogonal design so they are not useful as absolute measures. They should be used in a relative fashion to compare one design to another. Efficiencies that are less than 100 may be perfectly satisfactory.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
louv
Staff (Retired)

The measures of efficiency are scaled between 0 to 100

The efficiency is a measure of the goodness of a design relative to a hypothetical orthogonal design so they are not useful as absolute measures. They should be used in a relative fashion to compare one design to another. Efficiencies that are less than 100 may be perfectly satisfactory.

louv
Staff (Retired)

A great book on this topic is titled Optimal Design of Experiments by Peter Goos and Bradley Jones.

A key quote from the book with regard to this topic is

"do not recommend focusing on D-efficiency...we find it useful to compute relative D-efficiencies to compare competing designs"

parag
Level I

Thanks a lot LouV. It helps me to feel better about my design!!!

Hamilto
Level I

I have multiple designs with D, G and A Efficiencies of 100%. Since 100% is not possible are these good designs or should I reassess the number of factors and runs to obtain a more reasonable %? 

100% efficiencies are possible. Your designs are likely just fine.

Dan Obermiller