cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
HCK1977
Level I

Creating a prediction interval with monte carlo simulation

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me.  

I have a set of data in two columns.  Column one contains a Run ID while Column 2 contains data generated by the run.  My end goal is to plot the 95% prediction interval of the confidence intervals produced by N, N-1, N-2, N-3... until you only have two datapoints per Run, where N = initial number of replicates.  Therefore step by step, If for example I had 40 replicates per run, I would like for JMP to randomly select 39 replicates for each run, conduct a lower 95% and upper 95% confidence interval for each Run, then conduct a lower 95% Prediction interval for the lower 95% confidence intervals of each run and a upper 95% prediction interval for the upper 95% confidence intervals of each run.  This would get repeated with 38 replicates, 37 replicates... until there is only 2 replicates.  I would like to graph on the x-axis the replicate number and plot both the upper 95% Preidiction interval and lower 95% prediction interval similar to what is shown below:

HCK1977_0-1588795664027.png

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Creating a prediction interval with monte carlo simulation

Hi,

I believe I have an answer for you.  It makes use of the Bootstrapping functionality in JMP Pro, and for that reason will only work with JMP Pro.  Please take a look and let me know if it does what you are after.

Names Default To Here( 1 );
dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" );

dist=dt<<Distribution(Y(:Weight));//Create Distribution report of column "Weight""

//JMP PRO REQUIRED FOR NEXT STEP
boot_dt=(dist << Report)[TableBox( 2 )] << Bootstrap(
	Fractional Weights( 1 ),
	Split Selected Column( 1 )
);//Bootstrap 40 samples of Summary Statistics

boot_dist=boot_dt[2]<<Distribution(Y(Column(3)));//Create Distribution of Bootstrap samples for whichever statistic ends up in Column 3 - "Lower 95% Mean"" in our case. 

lowCL = {};//container for lower confidence limits
	upCL = {};//container for upper confidence limits
	nsims = {};	//container for number of simulations - for x-axis of GB report

lowCL[1] = Report( boot_dist )["Bootstrap Confidence Limits"][Number Col Box( 2 )][1];//lower a=0.05 limit
	upCL[1] = Report( boot_dist )["Bootstrap Confidence Limits"][Number Col Box( 3 )][1];//upper a=0.05 limit
	boot_dist << Close Window;

nsims[1] = N Rows( boot_dt[2] ) - 1;//Estimates were taken using all rows of table, except the first.

//	dist << Close Window;

For( i = 2, i <= N Rows( boot_dt[2] ) - 2, i++, //Create distribution reports after excluding rows one-at-a-time, save values in lowCL, upCL and nsims containers.

boot_dt[2] << Select Where( Row() == i );
		boot_dt[2] << Exclude;

boot_dist=boot_dt[2]<<Distribution(Y(Column(3)));
		lowCL[i] = Report( boot_dist )["Bootstrap Confidence Limits"][Number Col Box( 2 )][1];//lower a=0.05 limit
		upCL[i] =  Report( boot_dist )["Bootstrap Confidence Limits"][Number Col Box( 3 )][1];//upper a=0.05 limit
		boot_dist << Close Window;

nsims[i] = N Rows( boot_dt[2]) - i;
	);//end of For-loop, containers now have values for each row.

graphdt = New Table(); //create new table to generate GB report
	lowCLcolumn = graphdt << New Column( "Lower Confidence limit" );	//column of lower confidence limits
	graphdt << add Rows( N Items( lowCL ) ); //add rows 
	lowCLcolumn << Set Values( lowCL ); // set values from lowCL into column

upCLcolumn = graphdt << New Column( "Upper Confidence limit" );	//column of upper confidence limits
	upCLcolumn << Set Values( upCL );//set values from upCL into column

Nsimscol = graphdt << New Column( "N" );	//column of number of rows in simulated estimates table that were not exlcuded (x-axis of GB report)
	Nsimscol << Set Values( nsims ); // set values from nsims into column

//create GB report
	gb = graphdt << Graph Builder(
		Size( 531, 456 ),
		Show Control Panel( 0 ),
		Variables( X( :N ), Y( :Lower Confidence limit ), Y( :Upper Confidence limit, Position( 1 ) ) ),
		Elements( Line( X, Y( 1 ), Y( 2 ), Legend( 7 ) ) )
	);

Re: Creating a prediction interval with monte carlo simulation

By the way, this solution makes use of bits of a script from an add-in presented at the JMP Discovery Summit Europe 2020.