Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
AllenJH
Level II

Copy and Paste multiple column headers?

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to JMP (v14 here), so I apologize if this has been asked before.  I'm attempting to concatenate some data files (csv) and multiple import is working fairly well... I will have duplicates to take care of as well as some column differences... I may end up with a powershell concatenate without worrying about this import in jmp, but I thought I'd try jmp first.

In a few of the files, I've found a lack of first line header info.  So, if I chose to use the first line as a header, the data finds itself as the column names in the jmp data table.  An easy solution to this would be to insert a line, copy in the header line into the first line... but then I'm at a loss as to how to actually copy and paste the header "row"... is there a way to manipulate the headers all together and not select all the columns' rows at the same time?

Thanks again for your help and suggestions!!

-Allen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
julian
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: Copy and Paste multiple column headers?

Hi @AllenJH,

You can copy the column headers by selecting the columns in the columns list on the left, and then copying with Edit > Copy As Text (not Edit > Copy). Then, select the first row and then Edit > Paste. 

CopyAsText.gif

In JMP 16 (available 2021) there are built-in utilities for situations like this available under Cols > Column Names >. For earlier versions of JMP, I highly recommend @MikeD_Anderson 'sColumn Name Utilities II Add-In, which adds these same utilities. 

So why not Edit > Copy? Edit > Copy returns text in rows, which is useful when you're copying column names from one table to another. Edit > Copy As Text will return a tab delimited list, which is good for this particular case where what you are asking jmp for is the transpose of your columns list. 

Result from Edit > Copy
setosa

Result from Edit > Copy As Text
5.1	3.5	1.4	0.2	setosa

I hope this helps!

@julian 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
AllenJH
Level II

I've turned to powershell to brute-force concatenate. JMP's multiple file read and table concatenation is definitely smart here- but I think I will clean up the data after cat'ing and filtering.

Would love to know if there's an easy way to apply/copy the header values between tables though! I know it's not excel but this seems like a fairly common operation to perform.

Thanks for any and all input/suggestion! Cheers!
txnelson
Super User

This can be done, by selecting all of the column headers in the columns panel you want to copy, go to the Edit pull down menu and select Copy. Then go to the data table you want to copy the headers to and select in the column panel, the columns you want to paste into, and then go to Edit=>Paste pull down menu.
Jim
AllenJH
Level II

Thanks for the reply and solution!!
julian

Hi @AllenJH,

You can copy the column headers by selecting the columns in the columns list on the left, and then copying with Edit > Copy As Text (not Edit > Copy). Then, select the first row and then Edit > Paste. 

CopyAsText.gif

In JMP 16 (available 2021) there are built-in utilities for situations like this available under Cols > Column Names >. For earlier versions of JMP, I highly recommend @MikeD_Anderson 'sColumn Name Utilities II Add-In, which adds these same utilities. 

So why not Edit > Copy? Edit > Copy returns text in rows, which is useful when you're copying column names from one table to another. Edit > Copy As Text will return a tab delimited list, which is good for this particular case where what you are asking jmp for is the transpose of your columns list. 

Result from Edit > Copy
setosa

Result from Edit > Copy As Text
5.1	3.5	1.4	0.2	setosa

I hope this helps!

@julian 

Jeff_Perkinson

@julian is demonstrating a variant from Column Names Got You Down? Try This.  That's nice.

-Jeff
AllenJH
Level II

Thanks! It appears I had also multiple issues- one was data in a column header position, but another was actually empty column headers that needed the same as another data table for cat'ing (hence the need to copy and paste the header names themselves). The add-in was a nice addition to my JMP14 version- thanks for that pointer!