cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
djhanson
Level V

Copy File() Doesn't Overwrite

Just fyi, Copy File() does not appear to overwrite.  If the destination file already exists the log will show a zero instead.  There also does not appear to be any switch possible (e.g. 1 = overwrite, 0 = no overwrite).

So I'm resorting to: Delete File() then Copy File() for cases where I want it to overwrite an existing destination file.

Just passing this along in case it help others.  I do appreciate these relatively new file utilities, they come in handy for sure. DJ

4 REPLIES 4
msharp
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Copy File() Doesn't Overwrite

confirmed:

for(i=1,i<=2,i++,

text = "test" || char(i);

save text file("C:\TEMP\test.txt", text);

copy = copy file("C:\TEMP\test.txt", "C:\TEMP\test2.txt");

print(copy);

text2 = load text file("C:\TEMP\test.txt");

text3 = load text file("C:\TEMP\test2.txt");

print(text2);

print(text3);

)

//log

"test1"

"test1"

"test2"

"test1"

djhanson
Level V

I'm just bumping this up in case there's a solution.  Problem is, having to Delete File () prior to Copy File () can take a long time...in my case 10 sec and that's for a very small file size.

If anyone knows any tricks to make Copy File () overwrite a file if it exists, let me know!  thanks, DJ

txnelson
Super User

I do not have a solution, but I do want to encourage you to report the issue to

support@jmp.com

Jim

The save file functions do overwrite provided the target file is not being accessed by another program. Would a read file/write file JSL script allow your to overcome the current limitations of the copy file function?