cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
terapin
Level VI

Convert Date to String

I'm trying to create a data table variable that is a string representation of date in the format yyyy-mm-dd.  I can define a variable in the proper format and set it as a data table variable as shown here.

datetime = "2021-08-01";
dt = Current Data Table();
dt << Set Table Variable( "LastRunDate", datetime );

However, I want to obtain the current datetime and convert it to a string in the format yyyy-mm-dd so that I can save it as a data table variable.  What is the best/easiest way to accomplish this?  I

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jthi
Super User

Re: Convert Date to String

If you want to convert it into a string with padding for zeros this should work in all cases:

Char(Year(Today())) || "-" || Substr("00", 1,  2 - Length(Char(Month(Today())))) || Char(Month(Today())) || "-" || Substr("00", 1 , 2 - Length(Char(Day(Today())))) || Char(Day(Today()));

Or then you can use something like this which should also work in most of the cases (not sure if JMP will have issue with this specific format on some regional settings):

Format(Today(), "yyyy-mm-dd");
Names Default To Here(1);

dt = New Table("Untitled 3",
	Add Rows(0),
	Compress File When Saved(1),
	New Column("Column 1", Numeric, "Continuous", Format("Best", 12), Set Values([]))
);

dt << Set Table Variable("LastRunDate", Format(Today(), "yyyy-mm-dd"));
-Jarmo

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jthi
Super User

If you want to convert it into a string with padding for zeros this should work in all cases:

Char(Year(Today())) || "-" || Substr("00", 1,  2 - Length(Char(Month(Today())))) || Char(Month(Today())) || "-" || Substr("00", 1 , 2 - Length(Char(Day(Today())))) || Char(Day(Today()));

Or then you can use something like this which should also work in most of the cases (not sure if JMP will have issue with this specific format on some regional settings):

Format(Today(), "yyyy-mm-dd");
Names Default To Here(1);

dt = New Table("Untitled 3",
	Add Rows(0),
	Compress File When Saved(1),
	New Column("Column 1", Numeric, "Continuous", Format("Best", 12), Set Values([]))
);

dt << Set Table Variable("LastRunDate", Format(Today(), "yyyy-mm-dd"));
-Jarmo
terapin
Level VI

Both solutions worked.  Thanks for the quick suggestion.