cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
guleiss
Level II

Contour plot weird problem

Hi,

I used JMP for a few years and recently got a strange problem during a contour plot. Please see attached JMP file (test.jmp).

The data was plotted correctly in matlab. In the attached file, if I just plotted freq from 0.2 to 0.8, everything looked good (as left image). But if I included freq=0.9, the plot is changed completely (actually, the plot shrunk to a single line, as right image). I also noticed even I didn't add new data, but changed the exist data slightly, the plot was changed completely to a line, i.e. I changed one data freq from 0.8 to 0.9. It's so weird to me.

Can anyone give me a help?

Thanks a lot!

-Lei

13 REPLIES 13
DaveLee
Level IV

Re: Contour plot weird problem

I ran the same analysis and extended the x-axis to include 0.9 and got a nice looking plot.  What version of JMP are you using?  I'm using v12.  Perhaps you accidentally rescaled the y axis as well.

11060_pastedImage_0.png

guleiss
Level II

Thanks, I reinstall the JMP12. It seemed the problem solved.

guleiss
Level II

Hi, dlee0416,

Sorry, I might draw my conclusion too soon. After JMP re-installation, I actually still got the problem. In your plot, the column1 is still from 0.2 to 0.8. Can you please try add 0.9 data and see if you have similar problem?

Thanks,

-Lei

DaveLee
Level IV

Guleiss,

I plotted the data you provided and there is no data >0.8. In my original plot I just manually changed the axis settings. 

11065_pastedImage_0.png

DaveLee
Level IV

Here's the code to do this in JSL:

Contour Plot(

X( :Column 1, :Column 2 ),

Y( :Column 3 ),

Show Data Points( 0 ),

Fill Areas( 0 ),

Label Contours( 0 ),

Transform( "None" ),

Specify Contours(

Min( 5 ),

Max( 35 ),

N( 7 ),

Contour( 1, 5, -2380261 ),

Contour( 2, 10, -1998002 ),

Contour( 3, 15, -1285756 ),

Contour( 4, 20, -58112 ),

Contour( 5, 25, -7246852 ),

Contour( 6, 30, -12018696 ),

Contour( 7, 35, -16125962 )

),

SendToReport( Dispatch( {}, "1", ScaleBox, {Max( 0.9 )} ) )

);

guleiss
Level II

Hi dlee0416,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I forgot to mention I excluded 0.9 data in the .jmp file. It makes curve looks weird. They are actually in the .jmp file. Please help. I also tried these data with excel contour plot and looked good.

Thanks,

-Lei

DaveLee
Level IV

Guleiss,

I see your problem. I have tried to create a meaningful contour plot and for some unknown reason I get the same result when adding the 0.9 data.  I'm attaching a jmp file showing several plots that definitely show the data and the surface.  I even used another program and got a very nice contour map.  I think you might have stumbled into a bug. I'd suggest contact Technical Support.  Sorry I couldn't be of more help.  Please let me know or private message when the final 'fix' is determined.

Dave

guleiss
Level II

Hi dlee0416,

Thanks for your time to look into it.It's just weird. I never have this problem before. Other tools like matlab or excel are fine with this contour plot. Thanks for your suggestion. I may submit a technical support as a bug.

Thanks,

-Lei

louv
Staff (Retired)

Hi L.

I see the same funny behavior as you do when I un-exclude the 0.9 rows using the Graph>Contour Plot platform. Tech support should be alerted.

When I Fit Model with Column 3 as the response and Column 1 and Column 2 as factors I am able to get the contour plot

11068_Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 11.11.21 AM.png