cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Scouse
Level III

Contingency table

Hello,

I have put together a contingency table but I am struggling to understand one of the column values.

What I do understand:-

Count is the actual number of non-injured and injured 

Total % is the percentage of non-injured and injured players for all age groups combine

Row% is the percentage of non-inured and injured for that specific age group

But I am totally lost with what Column% means (please see attached screen shot) - could someone please advise me on this as I do not understand the description on the website.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Contingency table

The Column% is the proportion of the age group of the injured or of the non-injured. Divide the counts in the cell by the column total (bottom of contingency table).

Example from Big Class:

Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 5.59.35 AM.png

Using the cell for sex = F and age = 12 with a count of 5, the Total % is the count / total = 5 / 40 = 12.5, the Col % is the count / column total = 5 / 18 = 27.78, and the Row % is the count / row total = 5 / 8 = 62.5.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

The Column% is the proportion of the age group of the injured or of the non-injured. Divide the counts in the cell by the column total (bottom of contingency table).

Example from Big Class:

Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 5.59.35 AM.png

Using the cell for sex = F and age = 12 with a count of 5, the Total % is the count / total = 5 / 40 = 12.5, the Col % is the count / column total = 5 / 18 = 27.78, and the Row % is the count / row total = 5 / 8 = 62.5.

Scouse
Level III

Thanks Mark for your quick reply - much appreciated!