cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Scouse
Level III

Contingency table

Hello,

I have put together a contingency table but I am struggling to understand one of the column values.

What I do understand:-

Count is the actual number of non-injured and injured 

Total % is the percentage of non-injured and injured players for all age groups combine

Row% is the percentage of non-inured and injured for that specific age group

But I am totally lost with what Column% means (please see attached screen shot) - could someone please advise me on this as I do not understand the description on the website.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Contingency table

The Column% is the proportion of the age group of the injured or of the non-injured. Divide the counts in the cell by the column total (bottom of contingency table).

Example from Big Class:

Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 5.59.35 AM.png

Using the cell for sex = F and age = 12 with a count of 5, the Total % is the count / total = 5 / 40 = 12.5, the Col % is the count / column total = 5 / 18 = 27.78, and the Row % is the count / row total = 5 / 8 = 62.5.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

The Column% is the proportion of the age group of the injured or of the non-injured. Divide the counts in the cell by the column total (bottom of contingency table).

Example from Big Class:

Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 5.59.35 AM.png

Using the cell for sex = F and age = 12 with a count of 5, the Total % is the count / total = 5 / 40 = 12.5, the Col % is the count / column total = 5 / 18 = 27.78, and the Row % is the count / row total = 5 / 8 = 62.5.

Scouse
Level III

Thanks Mark for your quick reply - much appreciated!