cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
tog
tog
Level I

Connecting to SAS from JMP - Java Virtual Machine Error

My system configuration is as follows:

JMP: Pro, Version 11

java version "1.8.0_66"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_66-b17)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.66-b17, mixed mode)

I installed the jar packages from http://support.sas.com/downloads/package.htm?pid=747#

Unfortunately, every time I tried to create a profile, after I enter my username and password, I get the following error " JMP was unable to start the Java Virtual Machine. Some portions of JMP will be unavailable." I am unable to figure out what the problem is.

I am also not sure where the JAR files from the SODA package is being written. I tried searching for them, but can't seem to find it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Murali

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Eric_Hill
Staff

Re: Connecting to SAS from JMP - Java Virtual Machine Error

Hey, Murali,

Because of changes in Java on the Mac, Java 1.8 (and even Java 1.7) will not work with JMP.  You need Java 1.6.  JMP is supposed to prompt you to install Java 1.6, but there was a bug in JMP 11.0 that prevents that from happening.  Are you able to apply the JMP 11.1 update?  That has the fix.  With the fix, JMP should recognize the absence of Java 1.6 and walk you through the process of getting it installed.  I'm not sure what the eligibility of SODA JMP users is for JMP Technical Support, but if you are able to talk to them, they can be of assistance getting JMP 11.1 and working through getting the Java you need.

HTH,

Eric

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Eric_Hill
Staff

Hey, Murali,

Because of changes in Java on the Mac, Java 1.8 (and even Java 1.7) will not work with JMP.  You need Java 1.6.  JMP is supposed to prompt you to install Java 1.6, but there was a bug in JMP 11.0 that prevents that from happening.  Are you able to apply the JMP 11.1 update?  That has the fix.  With the fix, JMP should recognize the absence of Java 1.6 and walk you through the process of getting it installed.  I'm not sure what the eligibility of SODA JMP users is for JMP Technical Support, but if you are able to talk to them, they can be of assistance getting JMP 11.1 and working through getting the Java you need.

HTH,

Eric

tog
tog
Level I

Thank you very much Eric. That worked. I patched up version 11, and it prompted me to download 1.6 Java. Now I am able to connect.

Murali