cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
DMR
DMR
Level V

Conditional Formatting Columns in a Table Box

Hi - I want to apply a single conditional formatting rule to two columns of data in a Table Box. I've set up below an example using the Big Class data set which illustrates the problem, in which I can easily do what I want within a data table, but producing the same effect within a Table Box seems to be a bit more tricky.

The mechanism for creating the conditional format for a column of a Table Box is completely different to that needed for a data table, and requires that I set up a rule within my Preferences as shown. This part is straightforward enough, but I can't see a way then to apply that rule to a column other than the one to which the rule directly relates.  Can it be done?

dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA\Big Class.jmp" );

// Color-code blue all pupils whose height is at least 60, with everybody else purple;

// First color every cell in both the name and height columns purple;

Column( dt, "name" ) << color cells( RGB Color( 255, 0, 255 ), Index( 1, N Row( dt ) ) );
Column( dt, "height" ) << color cells( RGB Color( 255, 0, 255 ), Index( 1, N Row( dt ) ) );

// Now find everybody whose height is at least 60, and color them blue;

CellsToPaint = dt << get rows where( :Height >= 60 );

Show( CellsToPaint );

// Color them all blue;

Column( dt, "name" ) << color cells( RGB Color( 100, 100, 255 ), CellsToPaint );
Column( dt, "height" ) << color cells( RGB Color( 100, 100, 255 ), CellsToPaint );

// Now I'll try to produce the same effect with those two columns in a table box;

// Create a copy of the Big Class data table in a table box;

My_TB = Table Box( <<Set Shade Alternate Rows( 1 ), <<Set Shade Headings( 0 ), <<Set Column Borders( 1 ), <<Border( 1 ) );

For( i = 1, i <= N Col( dt ), i++,
	Heading = Column( dt, i ) << get name;
	Contents = Column( dt, i ) << get values;
	If( (Column( dt, i ) << get data type) == "Numeric",
		My_TB << append( Number Col Box( Heading, Contents ) ),
		My_TB << append( String Col Box( Heading, Contents ) )
	);
);

// Create a conditional formatting rule called "Tall";

Preferences(
	Conditional Formatting Rules(
		RuleSet(
			RuleName( "Tall" ),
			GreaterThan( Value( 60 ), Inclusive( 1 ), Format( Back Color( {100, 100, 255} ) ) ),
			LessThan( Value( 60 ), Inclusive( 0 ), Format( Back Color( {255, 0, 255} ) ) )
		)
	)
);

// Make sure it's been included in the Preferences;

Show Preferences();

// Apply my newly-created "Tall" rule to the Height column;

My_TB[4] << set conditional format( "Tall" );

// And finally show the result of applying it;

New Window( "My Window", My_TB );

// But can I apply that same color scheme to the "Name" column as well?  If so, how?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: Conditional Formatting Columns in a Table Box

I do not have a solution that will create a Conditional Formatting Rule.  However, I have accomplished what you want, by moving the colored data table into a journal, and then appending TableBox(1) from that journal into the application that I am creating

color journal.PNG

Jim

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
txnelson
Super User

I do not have a solution that will create a Conditional Formatting Rule.  However, I have accomplished what you want, by moving the colored data table into a journal, and then appending TableBox(1) from that journal into the application that I am creating

color journal.PNG

Jim
DMR
DMR
Level V

Many thanks Jim - that's ingenious!

Just for the record, I'm adding below a copy of a modified version of my original script which incorporates your recommendation as to how to resolve this.  Thanks once again - this is going to be phenomenally useful to me.

Clear Log();

dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA\Big Class.jmp" );

// Color-code blue all pupils whose height is at least 60, with everybody else purple;

// First color every cell in both the name and height columns purple;

Column( dt, "name" ) << color cells( RGB Color( 255, 0, 255 ), Index( 1, N Row( dt ) ) );
Column( dt, "height" ) << color cells( RGB Color( 255, 0, 255 ), Index( 1, N Row( dt ) ) );

// Now find everybody whose height is at least 60, and color them blue;

CellsToPaint = dt << get rows where( :Height >= 60 );

Show( CellsToPaint );

// Color them all blue;

Column( dt, "name" ) << color cells( RGB Color( 100, 100, 255 ), CellsToPaint );
Column( dt, "height" ) << color cells( RGB Color( 100, 100, 255 ), CellsToPaint );

// Now I'll produce the same effect with those two columns in a table box using Jim's suggestion;

// Export it to the journal as a data table, which converts it into a TableBox in the process;

dt << journal;

// Pull it back again as a TableBox, putting into a window with any other objects that I might want to incorporate;

nw = New Window( "My Window",
	Lineup Box( N Col( 1 ),
		Text Box( "Clever, huh?" ),
		Border Box( Current Journal()[Table Box( 1 )], <<sides( 15 ), <<background color( {0.8, 0.8, 1} ) ),
		<<padding( 10 )
	)
);

// Now I've got a copy of it in the window I can throw away the journal;

Close All( journals );

// And I can inspect its properties - and modify them if I want to - by just referencing nw[TableBox(1)];

Show Properties( nw[Table Box( 1 )] );

// Tidy it up a bit for the final display;

nw[Table Box( 1 )] << Set Shade Alternate Rows( 1 );
nw[Table Box( 1 )] << Set Shade Headings( 0 );
nw[Table Box( 1 )] << Set Column Borders( 1 );
nw[Table Box( 1 )] << Border( 1 );

// End of script;