cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Christian
Level I

Concatenation of multiple tables

I have found a method in the forum that provided the capability of concatenating tables together. I have tried with a list of existing tables where the starting tables is of the same kind. Does somebody detect my fault?

Names Default To Here( 1 ); Clear Log(); Clear Symbols(); Close All(Data Tables, No Save);  Close All(Journals, No Save); Close All(Reports,No Save);
Path = "C:\Users\u387536\Documents\01 Data and Analysis\08 IP21 to JMP Data Integraton\Working Folder Data Read-In\Data\";
filelist = {};
filelist[1] = Open(Path||"file 1.jmp",private);
filelist[2] = Open(Path||"file 2.jmp",private);
filelist[3] = Open(Path||"file 3.jmp",private);
filefinal 	= "file 123.jmp";

nf=nitems(filelist); //number of items in the working list
cctable= New Table( "Combined data table ");//make an empty table
cctable << New Column( "Source", Character, Nominal );
For( iii = 2 , iii <= nf, iii++, //this starts the first loop
filenow = ( filelist[iii] );
fileopen=(filepath||filenow);
//dt=open(fileopen,private);
//dt=open(fileopen,importset,private);//Import settings used in the open argument
dt = filelist[1];
New Column( "Source", Character, Nominal );
:Source << set each value( filenow );
//dt<<new column("Source", character, nominal)<<set each value(9999);
dt << Run Formulas();
//add the current table to the bottom of the combined data table
cctable << Concatenate( Data Table( dt ), Append to first table );
//don't use "Create Source Column" argument
Close( dt, NoSave );//after concatenating the table, close it and move on
);//end of the first for loop

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: Concatenation of multiple tables

Check and see the value of "filenow".  I assume you believe that it has just the value of the data table.  But what you will see is that it's value is:

Data Table("the file name")

If what you want is just "the file name", you need to request it to be returned from "filenow"

filenow << get name

I strongly recomment you read the Scripting Guide

Help==>Books==>Scripting Guide

It will show how you can view what a variables value is by placing your cursor on the variable, or by using the show() function to see it, or to use the JSL debugger so you can step through the code and see exactly what the code is doing.

Jim

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ian_jmp
Staff

What error do you see in teh log, please ('Windows > Log')? Looks like 'filepath' is not assigned.

Christian
Level I

The error that pops up in the log is:

Wrong result type for expression for column Source{1} in access or evaluation of 'set each value' , set each value( filenow ) /*###*/

txnelson
Super User

Check and see the value of "filenow".  I assume you believe that it has just the value of the data table.  But what you will see is that it's value is:

Data Table("the file name")

If what you want is just "the file name", you need to request it to be returned from "filenow"

filenow << get name

I strongly recomment you read the Scripting Guide

Help==>Books==>Scripting Guide

It will show how you can view what a variables value is by placing your cursor on the variable, or by using the show() function to see it, or to use the JSL debugger so you can step through the code and see exactly what the code is doing.

Jim