cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
martin_snogdahl
Level III

Computing statistical tolerance intervals in JMP

Hi,

I am looking into the calculation of one-sided tolerance intervals. Searching the documentation, I found the following paragraph:

Capture.PNG

Now, please correct me if I am wrong, but as I understand it:

• s is the standard deviation of the data samples
  • is the sample mean
  • n is the number of samples
  • 1-α is the confidence
  • t is the noncentral t inverse cumulative distribution function
  • and finally  is the inverse cumulative normal distribution

The reason I am asking is that I am having difficulties recreating the tolerance interval calculated by this method in matlab. Please let me know if there is something here that I got wtong. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MRB3855
Super User

Re: Computing statistical tolerance intervals in JMP

It looks like you have it correct; for the one-sided case, g' can be calculated exactly (as shown in the documentation). For the two sided case, however, a variety of approximations are available and some are better than others. But, be warned, it is not the case that two one-sided tolerance intervals (lower and upper, respectively, each at 1-alpha/2 confidence) gives the same interval as a two-sided tolerance interval at 1-alpha confidence.  

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
MRB3855
Super User

Re: Computing statistical tolerance intervals in JMP

It looks like you have it correct; for the one-sided case, g' can be calculated exactly (as shown in the documentation). For the two sided case, however, a variety of approximations are available and some are better than others. But, be warned, it is not the case that two one-sided tolerance intervals (lower and upper, respectively, each at 1-alpha/2 confidence) gives the same interval as a two-sided tolerance interval at 1-alpha confidence.