Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Silver22
Level III

Columns containing numbers and numbers with a letter

Dear JMP community,

I have a problem with opening a data table and I use the JMP 17 version.

I have a data table (xlsx file) with many columns containing numbers and strings. Some of the columns contain both numbers and strings. My problem is, when JMP opens a column of a data table and in the first row there is a number and in the remaining rows there are numbers with an initial letter (e.g. R4562), JMP sets the data type to Numeric and all remaining rows are deleted because they contain a letter. This is not nice. Furthermore, the content of the column must not be changed.

Is there a workaround where I can set the data type of the column before JMP opens the xlsx file?

Thank you very much for your help.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Columns containing numbers and numbers with a letter

Try using the Excel Wizard to open it.

mmarchandFSLR_0-1718802590380.png

Silver22
Level III

Hello,
Thank you for your suggestion, but I don't think I can use the Excel Wizard because I don't open Excel manually, I use the "open" command and this is part of a JMP script.

Kind regards,

B

jthi
Super User

I think JMP17 messes up before the data is even loaded (JMP18 seems to be able to open the file correctly).

Data preview looks very weird when you tell JMP that there are no headers (columns 1 and 2 have missing values)

jthi_0-1718813770196.png

-Jarmo
Silver22
Level III

Hello Jarmo,
Thanks for the help. I didn't realized that no column headers are so important. I do of course have column header (Sample, Vendor and Date). But I'm struggeling with the 2 data types in a column. If there is a number in the first row, JMP set the data type to numeric and deletes the rest of the rows. Does that mean I have to wait for JMP 18 and can't do anything about it?

Kind regards,

Britta