cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
mallen810
Level III

Coloring boxplot graph in graph builder

I am working on building several graphs for a report and need to color the boxplot boxes inside and also need to outline the boxes. I know I can do each one individualy but would like to be able to color all at once. I have attached a jrp for your review. Once I get this I would like to script this graph and coloring to use on other graphs. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: Coloring boxplot graph in graph builder

In Graph Builder, you can specify your GasYield as your Y variable, select the plot to be Box Plot, Overlay variable is your Date variable, and then right click on the graph and select your Box Plot, Box Style as solid.  You get everything you want except an outline

mallen810.PNG

Jim

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
txnelson
Super User

In Graph Builder, you can specify your GasYield as your Y variable, select the plot to be Box Plot, Overlay variable is your Date variable, and then right click on the graph and select your Box Plot, Box Style as solid.  You get everything you want except an outline

mallen810.PNG

Jim
Byron_JMP
Staff

In my humble opinion, a thin black line around the filled box plots from graph builder looks real nice. So, I right click on the blank graph space, and choose "Customize" from pop up menu, pick the box plot item and change the line color to black.  

The broadcast feature doesn't work here, so you'll have to do each group individually unless you want to get scripty. 

JMP Systems Engineer, Health and Life Sciences (Pharma)
mallen810
Level III

I would like to have a script because I several graphs that would need to be changed.

txnelson
Super User

To create such a script.....interactively make all of the changes you want.  Even go into the Customize and set the values there.  Then simply go to the red triangle in the main window for Graph Builder, and select

Save Script==>Save to Script Window

and it will product the script for you.  In the script, you will see what components you may need to change to generisize the script, and from there you can build your script around that.

Jim
Suttree
Level I

This is really helpful. My only point/question is, is that you can't use an overlay but also have an x-axis and still have it look nice (if you apply both, it squishes the boxes drastically). Or is there a way to fix this?

Thanks in advance!