cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
FoodSci321
Level II

Clustered bar chart - standard error bars disappear

I'm not sure what's going on with my dataset, but I can see standard error bars on my graph when I just have the averages plotted against the flour type. The standard error bars disappear when I then add the timepoint ordinal variable in. Do I need to separate the 3 timepoints into separate columns in the dataset, or is there something else that's going wrong? Thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
jthi
Super User

Re: Clustered bar chart - standard error bars disappear

I think you only have one data point for each group Flour + Timepoint, so there is no error to be calculated.

For example in this graph 17/F has no error bar because LINDA is the only row in that group:

jthi_0-1663875931451.png

-Jarmo

View solution in original post

jthi
Super User

Ah... didn't notice you had three "different" y-axis. I'm not exactly sure how JMP will calculate them in that case when you combine them like that. You could first try stacking the data by those R1-R3 columns and try to plot again.

-Jarmo

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jthi
Super User

I think you only have one data point for each group Flour + Timepoint, so there is no error to be calculated.

For example in this graph 17/F has no error bar because LINDA is the only row in that group:

jthi_0-1663875931451.png

-Jarmo
FoodSci321
Level II

This makes sense, however, I have 2-3 data points for almost every code in Flour+Timepoint (the R1/R2/R3 columns). I'm having a hard time getting JMP to calculate the average and put it into a single bar. Could this be my issue with lumping them altogether into one variable (the average of the 3 columns)? 

jthi
Super User

Ah... didn't notice you had three "different" y-axis. I'm not exactly sure how JMP will calculate them in that case when you combine them like that. You could first try stacking the data by those R1-R3 columns and try to plot again.

-Jarmo
FoodSci321
Level II

Thank you so much! It worked perfectly to put in the standard errors as applicable to my data.