cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
marcokunzelmann
Level III

Changing the color of clusters?

Hello everybody!

I want to do a simple thing. After the creation of a 3D Cluster Plot (k-means clustering), I want to change the color of the received clusters. It is no problem to change the symbol, but even if I change the color of the symbol in the data table and redo the analysis, nothing happen.

Would be great, if someone can help me with a suggestion!

Greetings!

/Marco

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
louv
Staff (Retired)

Re: Changing the color of clusters?

Okay...One last effort 

I saved off the Principal Components from the Multivariate platform since the output that you shared originated in the Biplot display after the K-Means Clustering. I then plotted the P2 vs. P1 in the Fit Y by X platform and customized the view there. The cluster color can be customized there.

9191_Screen Shot 2015-07-06 at 6.59.08 PM.png

Or using Graph Builder I could get this view with editable ellipse colors

9192_Screen Shot 2015-07-06 at 10.56.22 PM.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
louv
Staff (Retired)

Have you tried red triangle>Save Colors to Table

9185_Screen Shot 2015-07-06 at 4.58.03 PM.png

marcokunzelmann
Level III

Thanks for the reply, but yes I have. By doing that, the only thing what happen is that the color of my data points in my reference table change to the color of the clusters. But I want to change the color of the clusters itself.

louv
Staff (Retired)

Okay....If I open Candy Bars.jmp from the Help>Sample Data...

Run Analyze>Multivariate Methods>Cluster>K-Means, choose 6 clusters ...Go

Red triangle>Save Clusters....

Then Row>Color or Mark by Columns....select Cluster column.

When you get to the next screen you will be able to change the color of the clusters.

9188_Screen Shot 2015-07-06 at 5.35.10 PM.png

marcokunzelmann
Level III

Thanks again, for your fast answer. Unfortunately your idea does not solve my problem, that is the same thing than before. This process does only change the colors in the data table but not the color of the "cluster bubble graph". I want to change for example the bubble from cluster 1 from red to green in this plot and not the color of the dots. Maybe with the picture my question is a bit clearer .

9189_Screen Shot 2015-07-06 at 23.40.17.png

By doing the steps you have suggested the results are pictured below. You can easily see, that only the shape of the data points has changed but not the color of the clusters...

9190_Screen Shot 2015-07-07 at 00.19.47.png

louv
Staff (Retired)

Okay...One last effort 

I saved off the Principal Components from the Multivariate platform since the output that you shared originated in the Biplot display after the K-Means Clustering. I then plotted the P2 vs. P1 in the Fit Y by X platform and customized the view there. The cluster color can be customized there.

9191_Screen Shot 2015-07-06 at 6.59.08 PM.png

Or using Graph Builder I could get this view with editable ellipse colors

9192_Screen Shot 2015-07-06 at 10.56.22 PM.png

marcokunzelmann
Level III

Ok, that works even with the 3D Plot. Thanks for the solution!

But to be honest, is there not a simpler way to do that, instead of doing a whole new PCA to extract the PC's only to change the color of the clusters??? I really miss a change color button in the red triangle of the clusters result overview, possible with the dots but not with the ellipses, thats a bit strange...