cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
anuashka0
Level I

Changing datatype of a column

I am trying to change a numeric column to character using column info window. But it changes back to numeric automatically once I change it to character value. Can someone help me in fixing this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: Changing datatype of a column

I believe you will find the column you are trying to change has a formula that is setting it's value.  To be able to change this value, you will need to go to the Column Info for the column, click on the formula column property, and then click on remove.  This will not remove the values from the column, but will just remove the formula.  The values in the column have now become just regular numeric values.  Now you will be able to change the data type to character.

Jim

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

hi anuashka0​,

this probably happens since the column contains at least one character in one row. you will need to delete it or change it to a numeric value before enforcing the change of the column type.

ron

txnelson
Super User

I believe you will find the column you are trying to change has a formula that is setting it's value.  To be able to change this value, you will need to go to the Column Info for the column, click on the formula column property, and then click on remove.  This will not remove the values from the column, but will just remove the formula.  The values in the column have now become just regular numeric values.  Now you will be able to change the data type to character.

Jim
anuashka0
Level I

Thank You Jim. That was precisely the problem I was facing. Your suggestion helped me fix the issue!! Thanks