cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
AT
AT
Level V

Categorical Correlation

Hi,

I like to do two categorical variables correlations. I know I have to do the Chi-Square analysis. The questions I have is how many data points I need to do this? Are there any minimum requirements? 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Categorical Correlation

The general rule for the hypothesis test of association with Chi-square is nor more than 20% of the cells have an expected count under 5. JMP will warn you if this condition is discovered.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
txnelson
Super User

The p Value you receive from a Chi Square, will be adjusted for the number of observations.  Therefore, it will self adjust for your analysis.  However, where Chi Square does fall down, is when you get too many cells where the "Expected" cell frequencies are below 5 that can make the calculations suspect.  There is also some discussions on having at least 20 responses.

Jim
AT
AT
Level V

Thanks Jim. I have a two level categorical variables and I guess you are sugggesting to have at least 20 data points for each level.
txnelson
Super User

That would be fine

Jim

The general rule for the hypothesis test of association with Chi-square is nor more than 20% of the cells have an expected count under 5. JMP will warn you if this condition is discovered.

AT
AT
Level V

Thanks. That's very helpful.